Why the facination with integrated amps?

I don’t get it. Is it the manufacturers spotting a trend with the tail wagging the dog or does a significant market segment truly prefer the idea of an integrated?
Pros;
Less space
One less set of IC’s
In theory-one less chassis/case to pay for
Shorter signal paths possible
Can combine transformer/cap function
Cons;
Power supply interference/spuriae
Reduced Flexibility-can’t switch amp or preamp as easily or go to monoblocs
Less resonance control
Long history of lesser performance per measurements and long-term subjective listening
Less resale value if it turns out to be a fad
Less liklihood of an extremely high performing active preamp

I freely admit I am a skeptic. The industry-like so many others-looks for new market niches to move product. 
FWIW, the only integrateds I myself would care to audition would be from Esoteric and Luxman who have a long history of designing no-compromise (low-compromise) high-end integrateds. 

128x128fsonicsmith
Its technically cheaper to invest into a Integrated than a 2 or 3 box system. Sales are declining on a global scale thou Asia is showing better data on this aspect then the West. 

Simpler and neater would be one consideration, Space saving is another.
Diablo 300 without optional phono and dac is basically a stereo power amp, preamp section is passive. The least expensive Gryphon power amp is I think in the mid-$30k.
Can you do better than the Diablo for $16k with separates, speaking only transistor and hybrid amps ? New - almost certainly not, used separates vs new Diablo - maybe, depends on many things including speakers, maybe not. Personally, I would add great separate tube phono to the Diablo and be happy for the next ten years or so.
More to go wrong..HDMI.decoder failure common, no spares...bin!Separate components are better!
Agreed inna, for me it’s pretty simple - why would I pay the same amount of cash for seperates that have lesser sound quality versus the Gryphon Diablo?  Only reason may be to sacrifice some sound quality now for the sake of future flexibility facilitated by seperates.

That said, I’ve been trying and failing at finding separates that give me the type of sound I’m looking for - detailed and transparent with great sounstaging and dynamics, with well defined bass and good overall drive and timing.  And enough bloom on certain tones so that it doesn’t sound too dry and lean and non-musical, and yet having the right tones “pop” with immediacy and air and space, like with vocals.  And tonal evenness so that sibilants or sharp upper mids are reigned in and do not totally ruin lesser recordings.  Is that too much to ask?  So far at my price point I’ve found products that excel at some of these elements but not all of them, and because of that these products take me out of the “flow” of the music.  If the Diablo can check all the boxes above it will be worth every penny and will offer an experience I can’t get with separates.

Of note, last night on a whim I in-home demoed a Simaudio 600i integrated with my B&W 803 D2’s, and was totally dazzled by the detail and soundstage the amp offered.  But it was also dry and cold, shy on bass (but what bass was there was uber-well defined) and presence across the band, and rather cold and boring.  Not what I would call engaging....  Maybe just because my 803’s need more power, but something tells my the Simaudio is all about surgically presenting just the raw  facts and nothing more, which I don’t think is quite enough for me to stay connected with the music.

After decades of separates, some of the highest quality, I have recently moved to an integrated as well. While the original reasons were to some degree economic and space related, I was still not willing to compromise on sound quality. I ended up purchasing the Octave V80se from my dealer after auditioning a handful of other contenders. The sound of this unit combined with the total flexibility it offers and the ability for it to easily drive my speakers well beyond my needs made the choice a simple one.

The cost of the unit, while not insignificant seemed like a absolute value to me. I still have an outboard phono preamp and dac, so I am not a true "single boxer" but the performance and efficiency of the Octave makes more sense than most could imagine. Unfortunately I was not able to audition the Gryphon, as I am sure it is amazing....well actually, perhaps that is just as well....