Why the facination with integrated amps?

I don’t get it. Is it the manufacturers spotting a trend with the tail wagging the dog or does a significant market segment truly prefer the idea of an integrated?
Pros;
Less space
One less set of IC’s
In theory-one less chassis/case to pay for
Shorter signal paths possible
Can combine transformer/cap function
Cons;
Power supply interference/spuriae
Reduced Flexibility-can’t switch amp or preamp as easily or go to monoblocs
Less resonance control
Long history of lesser performance per measurements and long-term subjective listening
Less resale value if it turns out to be a fad
Less liklihood of an extremely high performing active preamp

I freely admit I am a skeptic. The industry-like so many others-looks for new market niches to move product. 
FWIW, the only integrateds I myself would care to audition would be from Esoteric and Luxman who have a long history of designing no-compromise (low-compromise) high-end integrateds. 

128x128fsonicsmith
I'm not sure if this has been touched on, but there's no reason you can't combine separates with your integrated.  I started out with a Peachtree Nova 300 in my computer room which includes a great DAC, phono stage, and headphone amp.  You can also connect a preamp to it.

Even though the built in components were really good in the Peachtree, I am using a better external phono stage, DAC, and headphone amp and certainly didn't need 300 WPC in my small 10 X 12 room.  I came to realize that even though this was a modest unit, it was overkill for my needs and space.

I "downsized" to a Heed Elixir which takes up less space and doesn't have a DAC (it does have a very high quality headphone amp and phono stage, which I still don't use) and use an external DAC, phono stage, and headphone amp.

I realize most people are referring to a separate amp(s) and preamp or line stage when talking about "separates" in this, but you don't have to be limited by what's "in the box" with an integrated.

Some very high end big bucks integrateds are being mentioned in this conversation, but for someone getting into the hobby or with less lofty goals a very nice sounding system can be built around a good integrated for a relatively modest investment.
elizabeth,

"And I just could not see having 27 ft long speaker cables..."
That is some big room. How long is the cable between pre-amplifier and amplifier? 
I currently own(CA 640A v2, Yamaha A-S1000) and have owned about 7 other integrated amps(Luxman, Onkyo/Integra, CA, Denon) over the last 12 years. Definitely not a new phenomenon. Some of the best sounding(to me) were 80’s/90’s Denon integrated amps(PMA). Fast and punchy, built well, neutral sound.

As a matter of fact this Denon below has always been near the top of my list of "must haves" amps.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9bh77-denon-pma-2000r-mkiv-tube

Bill
willland,

I had Denon PMA-250 and it is still running strong with a friend I gave it to. It might have been the smallest and cheapest, but it was as good as they got.