Why the facination with integrated amps?

I don’t get it. Is it the manufacturers spotting a trend with the tail wagging the dog or does a significant market segment truly prefer the idea of an integrated?
Pros;
Less space
One less set of IC’s
In theory-one less chassis/case to pay for
Shorter signal paths possible
Can combine transformer/cap function
Cons;
Power supply interference/spuriae
Reduced Flexibility-can’t switch amp or preamp as easily or go to monoblocs
Less resonance control
Long history of lesser performance per measurements and long-term subjective listening
Less resale value if it turns out to be a fad
Less liklihood of an extremely high performing active preamp

I freely admit I am a skeptic. The industry-like so many others-looks for new market niches to move product. 
FWIW, the only integrateds I myself would care to audition would be from Esoteric and Luxman who have a long history of designing no-compromise (low-compromise) high-end integrateds. 

128x128fsonicsmith
elizabeth,

"And I just could not see having 27 ft long speaker cables..."
That is some big room. How long is the cable between pre-amplifier and amplifier? 
I currently own(CA 640A v2, Yamaha A-S1000) and have owned about 7 other integrated amps(Luxman, Onkyo/Integra, CA, Denon) over the last 12 years. Definitely not a new phenomenon. Some of the best sounding(to me) were 80’s/90’s Denon integrated amps(PMA). Fast and punchy, built well, neutral sound.

As a matter of fact this Denon below has always been near the top of my list of "must haves" amps.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9bh77-denon-pma-2000r-mkiv-tube

Bill
willland,

I had Denon PMA-250 and it is still running strong with a friend I gave it to. It might have been the smallest and cheapest, but it was as good as they got.
Seems like the OP hasn't much to say with so much positive being said about integrated amps.
From Preamp to amp Balanced Kimber KS1116 is seven meters. (23 feet.) since a speaker cable has to not only get to the middle back of the room, it has to get to the other side.. thus 27 feet.