A DAC that can make digital sound analog?

Hi All,

I have a ModWright Oppo 105D. It’s excellent....but it sure don’t sound like vinyl or tape.

What DACs have you heard that really work like magic on digital audio files? 

I am interested in DACs that kill that digital glare/blare, that gives you that sense of ‘blackness’ or ‘darkness’ to the audio soundscape, really letting you hear into the mix...ya know that layering, space and depth that is very evident on tape.

Very curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xbrettmcee
wow.. that Wish You Were Here SACD is awesome.. you can hear the dude's breath blowing through the sax on Sine On You Crazy Diamond.. 
The Resolution Audio Cantata system sounds really good; natural, refined, no digital nasties. Metrum, also. At more stratospheric prices, well, Nagra and TotalDac.
I’m using a NOS Audio Note 2.1 Signature with reclocker and can easily hear differences in recordings and mastering; ie, original flat CD transfers vs. remasters vs. modern loud CDs.
Many CDs have the "wall of sound" compression, early CDs typically are spacious, more dynamic, and organic (analogue-like).

I own the various early issue Hendrix CDs mastered in W. Germany and they sound like analogue tape reproducing studio depth, off-mike sounds, and clear vocals.
There are two versions of "Are You Experienced," one with NR and one without.

I am finding the same with my Audio Mirror Tubadour III DAC which uses the same AD 1865 chip. Contrast is what I hear within recordings and from CD to CD with older masterings sounding better. I use the Cambridge Audio CXC transport which has a reclocker, curious what reclocker you use? or is it a built in one?
All these suggestions are amazing people! Thank you.

...so I already own the ModWright Oppo 105D which many consider an excellent player (but now hearing tape in my system I see/hear all that is not quite right with digital). Most assuredly the Oppo is gonna stay in my system for the foreseeable future.

In the meantime, what is a very solid and noticeable DAC upgrade from the Oppo, on the used market, costing between $500-$1000? It does not need to do DSD, but something that could handle 24/196 via optical, coaxial or usb.

I have a Music Hall 25.3 DAC that I haven’t listened to in years, might hook that up. I can’t imagine the Music Hall is going to best the Oppo, but I’ll give it a shot.