A New? Way to Buy Loudspeakers??

I'm not saying that this is going to save high end...or that this is the way that most of us will buy loudspeakers going forward...but you've got to give these guys credit for coming up with a new idea that might just pull a few more people into the "hobby" by lessening some of the risk, cost and hassle.

Check this out....and just give it a try for yourself with a decent set of headphones...

https://www.crutchfield.com/speakercompare/

just pick some speakers and hit the compare button...then scroll to the bottom and hit the "compare these products" button
on the right....then follow the directions.

What do you think?
snapsc
It's a nice gimmick.👍 I say this because by the time you "hear" the speakers, the sound will be nothing like what It does sound like if you were to actually hear them.

All the best,
Nonoise

When they moved to their flagship store a few years ago, they got rid of real listening rooms and just had one room where you could listen to a digitally synthesized simulacrum of various speakers they sold.  Utterly ridiculous.  This is evidently the "logical" extension of that system.

But that can't have caught on at the B&M store.  Nowadays, one only medium sized room has a whole bunch of speakers lined up on two sides, like suspects in an identity parade, and the punter (aka shopper) is supposed to stand there and audition (no chair provided), while the hovering salesperson pushes the buttons on the multiple-selector device.  Like the worst kind of demo at a regular audio store in the 1970s or 80s.

It's a scam, a sham, a true national emergency. 
You can't judge anything about how they will sound on axis, off axis, about imaging, soundstage and given how crappy your headphones might be, dynamics. Perhaps you can get a hint about tonal balance, but certainly not enough to make any serious conclusions. Cheers,
Spencer
No doubt, it won't work for serious audiophiles....but is it clever enough to entice the 20 somethings into their first audio system...from which they can move up.  I'm not really sure because the young people today are often pulled or pushed in a direction by social medial influencers....so if Crutchfield could get a bunch of Instagram and Facebook mentions by the right celebrities....who knows?
I reckon you need to use this in a bake off between YG, MAgicos, Avalon Eidelons'...