Soundproofing

I have an unfinished basement space, roughly 1000 sqft that I would like to convert to a TV and 2-channel listening room. The ceiling is open floor joists to to the first floor, any recommendations on soundproofing materials that I could use to rough finish between the joists. Floor/ceiling joists are 2x10's.

Thanks,
David
h2gastech
Actually Folk freak we got that sound leakage down heroically using layers of inexpensive materials done in a constrained layer damping system over the regular sheet rock, if we would have been able to build the wall out more we could have knocked it down very much more.

There is a huge difference between designing from scratch and retrofitting. Also the DIY Network is really cheap so our solution had to be as inexpensive as possible. 

We used cemment board, sheet rock, cemment board sandwich with green glue between all layers then we used a custom made absorbing diffusing panle the room sounded and looked great. 

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ

The op is asking about soundproofing materials, and for the space between the joists and behind the new ceiling I would 2nd the suggestion of Roxul Safe ’n’ Sound (instead of the more common fiberglass insulation such as Corning 703). Using the ASC isolation "channeling", to which the new sheet rock is attached instead of to the studs, will decrease the transmission of sound to the room above.

Applying the ASC Wall Damp to that sheetrock, with a second layer of sr on top of that, will decrease the walls ability to do what drum heads do when struck with a drum stick---move in and out in the middle, which is how they create sound. Sheetrock actually flexes between the locations where it is screwed down, the middle moving in and out, creating noise. Folkfreaks’s room exhibiting none of that---the room was very quiet. Not just in it’s isolation from the outside world, but in the sense of it not creating any sound of its own. The quietest room I’ve ever not heard ;-) .

In my 647 square foot basement dedicated room on concrete slab, and concrete walls on threes sides, which is both; a listening room and home theater I did the following:

1. Joists (14” below floorboards) Spray foam 6 inches of high density
2. Roxul Safe and sound in all walls and ceiling
3. Resilient channel
4. Ceiling  Quiet Rock sheet rock 530 5/8” and additional layer of quiet rock 510 1/2” installed opposite direction need long screws 
4. Walls: quiet rock 530
5. back wall: double wall with Roxul safe and sound in each wall, and quiet rock 510 on each wall assembly front and back with a 1” space between the wall assemblies. 
6. Green Glue on most drywall assemblies.
6. Solid wood door
7. Varied acoustic treatments / diffusion from GIK and vicoustic
8. Floor bamboo dark tone on slab with 4 in one adhesive, glue, noise and vapor barrier, and flexible.

The costs of the soundproof drywall will eat your budget. That is why I mixed 530 and 510 sheetrock. 

Good luck