Want to get into Analog

I’m thinking of taking a plunge into analog sources by picking up a vintage DD turntable.
There seems to be an endless supply of vintage tables available on eBay and CL.

Which models would be good values for under $1000 (total budget for turntable, arm, cartridge.  Thanks.
mrpostfire
@big_greg 

The best company to retip Stanton/Pickering is EXPERT STYLUS in UK. You can email them to ask for the price: info@expertstylus.co.uk  The stylus profile is Paratrace and the price is very reasonable if you can't find the OG replacement. 
@chakster Thank you for that information, it's very much appreciated. Aren't you the same guy who in another thread was completely against retipping?

noromance, that just shows you're not dedicated enough. I don't know how many times I replaced some of those same recordings for that very same reason. Vinyl attracts pops and ticks like dogs attract fleas; they go with the territory.

Happy listening.

My 2-cents worth. My Rega RP3 -- bought about 12 years ago with a Rega Elys, upgraded 7 years ago to a Dynavector 10x5 --  gives me better sound than my CD Player (NAD C516BEE). I  upgraded 2 years ago to a better phone stage (Pro-Ject Tube Box DS), and got significant improvement.

It's a mood thing. When I am working or just need background music, I play CDs. When I'm really listening, I play LPs.

And no, my analog rig was well within the $1K when I started. I added a few bucks every few years. So NO -- you don'r need big bucks to enjoy vinyl!!

G
Dear mrpostfire,

Analog that tops digital is not inexpensive, and coming from a guy that started with analog, a grand in used gear won’t quite cut it. But it’s a start. Why?

A bring home the bacon cartridge starts at around the $500-$1200 mark, with the sky being the law of deminishing returns limit. Ortofon 2M Bronze $440, Dynavector 10X5 Mk2 $750, Grado Sonata V2 $600, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III Hi MC $550, and this is quality "entry level" gear. That doesn’t leave a lot left for table, wire and tonearm. So for a grand, in my experience, tough to do. But it’s a start.

If buying new I’d suggest a Rega Planar 3 Turntable $950, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit Black with 2M Blue stylus $760, Thorens TD 203 Turntable w/ Arm & Ortofon 2M Blue $700, get you in for around a grand.

If you’re going used? I’ve had an Oracle Delphi since 1982. Ya, ya, some will comment suspension tables this/that, but the fact of the matter is it’s a fine and rock solid table. They start at about a grand for just the table, no arm or cartridge. Add another $500 for a Rega RB300 arm, add a starter cartridge for another $500, and for $2000 G’s you’ve got a table you can build on from here to eternity. "Caveat" - - don’t mix a Rega arm with a Grado Sonata cartridge !

Another table I’ve had experience with is the VPI Scout, and there’s a Scout Jr on eBay right now for $700, which is something to take a good hard look at.

Happy hunting.