Want to get into Analog

I’m thinking of taking a plunge into analog sources by picking up a vintage DD turntable.
There seems to be an endless supply of vintage tables available on eBay and CL.

Which models would be good values for under $1000 (total budget for turntable, arm, cartridge.  Thanks.
mrpostfire
My 2-cents worth. My Rega RP3 -- bought about 12 years ago with a Rega Elys, upgraded 7 years ago to a Dynavector 10x5 --  gives me better sound than my CD Player (NAD C516BEE). I  upgraded 2 years ago to a better phone stage (Pro-Ject Tube Box DS), and got significant improvement.

It's a mood thing. When I am working or just need background music, I play CDs. When I'm really listening, I play LPs.

And no, my analog rig was well within the $1K when I started. I added a few bucks every few years. So NO -- you don'r need big bucks to enjoy vinyl!!

G
Dear mrpostfire,

Analog that tops digital is not inexpensive, and coming from a guy that started with analog, a grand in used gear won’t quite cut it. But it’s a start. Why?

A bring home the bacon cartridge starts at around the $500-$1200 mark, with the sky being the law of deminishing returns limit. Ortofon 2M Bronze $440, Dynavector 10X5 Mk2 $750, Grado Sonata V2 $600, Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III Hi MC $550, and this is quality "entry level" gear. That doesn’t leave a lot left for table, wire and tonearm. So for a grand, in my experience, tough to do. But it’s a start.

If buying new I’d suggest a Rega Planar 3 Turntable $950, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit Black with 2M Blue stylus $760, Thorens TD 203 Turntable w/ Arm & Ortofon 2M Blue $700, get you in for around a grand.

If you’re going used? I’ve had an Oracle Delphi since 1982. Ya, ya, some will comment suspension tables this/that, but the fact of the matter is it’s a fine and rock solid table. They start at about a grand for just the table, no arm or cartridge. Add another $500 for a Rega RB300 arm, add a starter cartridge for another $500, and for $2000 G’s you’ve got a table you can build on from here to eternity. "Caveat" - - don’t mix a Rega arm with a Grado Sonata cartridge !

Another table I’ve had experience with is the VPI Scout, and there’s a Scout Jr on eBay right now for $700, which is something to take a good hard look at.

Happy hunting.
I don't know if there is a consensus but it seems like more people believe $1000 isn't enough to capture the "analog magic."  I can up my budget to $2500 new or used.  The Nottingham's look intriguing as do the vintage Luxman PD 441.  One thing I want to avoid is manually fiddling with the belt to change play speeds.

I'll have to do some more research but I appreciate those providing specific suggestions.

Thanks.

Mrpostfire, I'm over 70, I had vinyl until CD's came out, and I have no idea what the "vinyl experience" is about; without a high end analog rig it was "crap" and good riddance.

However, it's entering a new dimension in music with a top flight rig. What you don't want to do is waste money by buying something cheap. This is a long term investment; musical pleasure for the rest of your life.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/luxman-aims-reach-more-vinyl-enthusiasts-new-high-end-turntab...

That looked like something you could live with, I believe I could. The best thing about new, is the possibility that you might be able to try before you buy; this TT business is very competitive.

In regard to a cartridge, I recommend that you get one in the vicinity of 1K; like ice cream, they come in different flavors, but more or less the same quality in said price range.

The best way to choose a cartridge without auditioning it, is to carefully read the reviews, and read as many as possible. Pay close attention to the music, the reviewer is using;  if he uses music that is compatible with your tastes, and gives that music glowing reviews, you've got a match.

It ain't easy being an audiophile, but the rewards are tremendous.