Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Hi Tom,

It was very well said.  I understand the nature of the problem completely.  I guess all I can say is that in a world where we have equipment makers such as DAC, preamp, amp, and last but not least speakers, and of course recording studios, each have their own ways of doing things.  All I can say is how to try to fit in given all the variables.  

As for how to voice a speaker, it's interesting that we have brands such as Sonus Faber, Spendor, Vandersteen who in the past tend to have a sound that is some what warm and musical, but have since become a lot more neutral in their sound lately. 

In my personal design, when I design speakers with very flat frequency response, in order to pull that off, my external components have to be of fairly high quality (such as xover cap, front end electronics, cables  ...) otherwise the sound will be somewhat on the harsh sound.  I have heard stories in which people have demoed Thiel speakers at the show room which sounded fabulous, but then they were very disappointed when they took the speakers home using their less than optimal equipment. 
The brands which I have mentioned above whose sound has gone a lot more neutral lately may be because the quality of the ancillary equipment is now so much better than before, that they feel comfortable to be much neutral now without sacrificing sound quality.  
flat frequency response is just part of the work
time domian, energy storage and release are also important....
yes i am a Vandersteen fan for sure...

but as I dial them into my room the 2.3 are quite good

i will remove the bottom larger access plate.....if required, removing the passive radiator to access xover is not imo a good design tradeoff....especially mounted from backside of baffle as it appears to be......

as for no standards....true....so to learn where in the chain..things go wrong.....built a pretty good mobile recording rack.....let me tell you it is microphones.....

fun

for those of you w access to live unamplified music consider your own experiments in the chain....

for analog get a Revox A-77 and a couple of decent microphones....hint check out the excellent recordings made by the late ( RIP ) Charley Hansen of Ayre....for his list of relatively inexpensive gear....all told this analog experiment will set you back about $2k....with good headphones, this will rival just about anything.....

for simple digital a Zoom H6 can be amazing...wayyyy under $1 k

otherwise get an Ayre A to D, and of course microphones....

then start comparing to what you heard....

a fun journey....your results may vary....
a fun journey....your results may vary....

as long as you have unlimited funds ... if you know what I mean.  
ronkentThank You for suggesting brass footers as a substitute to outriggers or sound anchors. Happy Listening!