The Music Room

Hi has anyone done business with The Music Room?  They seem legit, but their lack of a published address makes me a little nervous
128x128markainsworth
I just bought a used ARC LS26 preamp from them. When I opened it up to put in the tubes, two of the capacitors were disconnected from shipping. I contacted them and they sent me a return authorization and shipping label right away. The return was painless and they had it fixed and back to me in a relatively short period of time. They couldn't find the exact capacitors so they put in ones that they said were better. Communication was great throughout the process and there were no questions asked, no hassle. 

In regards to their prices, you get the best prices on their web site and I've seen things drop in price after they have them on their website for a while. I don't know if they do that with everything. 

builder3
145 posts
03-05-2019 6:49pm
builder3 said: "eBay isn't free"

It's true.  IMHO another way to spin this is that, TMR charges more on eBay since it is easier to make a case to return there.   It's like hotel room booking or airline tickets nowadays.   The non-refundable rate isn't cheaper --- the business simply charges more for flexibility.  The profit is just as fine if everything's sold at the lowest price.

Like, there are many sellers in Audiogon who also list in USAudioMart or AudioAsylum.   But the asking price is typically the same across, even when Audiogon isn't free.  May be TMR's listing is merely an advertisement thing ... make the prospective buyers feel they are getting a better deal if buying direct from them, while getting more visibility for their items.

Nevertheless, my reason to stop dealing with them is the same.   It's not with the pricing, but the quality of their offerings.  They tend to come with considerable, disclosed defects.

I have never try their consignment process.   Way too much risk shipping stuff around and then your hands are forced.  An analogy is Enterprise Rent a Car.  Yes they'd pick you up.   But I experienced multiple times that they drove me there, then told me the car I booked wasn't available.  Yea they overbooked, but blame multiple customers not returning the cars or the cars need "service" --- why not tell me before picking me up?  They'd force me to pay a whole lot more to upgrade --- no free upgrade since the car would be available if I keep waiting.  When requested to take me back home, they'd tell me they did not have anybody to drive me home (eventually they would, after waiting an hour or two).  LOL, may be it's just an local New Jersey thing.

I'd rather support local business if I ever need to sell my stuff thru consignment.

I just completed my third transaction with TMR. I had a McIntosh MC 152 amp I was going to list here for $2500.00. On a whim, I contacted TMR about trading in my amp towards a McIntosh MC 302 amp. I was offered $2500.00 for my amp towards the MC 302 amp. They paid for the shipping of my amp to them and 9 days later I received the MC 302 amp. My total cost out of pocket was $2000.00 plus 150.00 for shipping (amp weighed 150 pounds) for the new amp. 

The amp arrived in all the factory packaging and looked perfect. I honestly couldn’t find fault with the looks or sound. I am one very happy camper.