Magnepan Service HORRIBLE???

I am now into my 5th week waiting for Magnepan to evaluate shipping damage to a pair of MG 3.7's. My wife and I paid Craters and Freighters to build a custom wood crate for them so they would not be damaged further by the trip from Richmond to Minnesota.

I know everyone will say they are a small company and I need to be patient but this is ridiculous to my mind. I have called 5-6 times and the seller has also called. The last time I called Shelia acted like she had never spoken to me before despite the previous phone conversations.

I know the MG 3.7's are supposed to be sensational speakers and I bought my first pair of Magnepans in 1975 but I am seriously considering flipping these if Magnepan ever inspects and repairs them. The aggravation simply is not worth it to me.

A month and I can not even get anyone at Magnepan to open the crate, inspect them, and give me a damage estimate to provide to FedEx who is ready to pay the claim. Unfortunately, they can't pay until Magnepan provides an estimate of the damage and then I have to wait for the actual repair.

I never thought I would feel this way about Magnepan but this current situation has changed my mind to a huge extent. This is just ridiculous the way I see it and I can see no good excuse for it.
etmerritt33
My recollection of Magnepan service when I called upon it a number of years back (in the relatively prosperus 90's) was it was reliable built not necessarily fast even back then.

Home audio is a luxury, not a necessity so FBOFW my experience is that most vendors are not well equipped for fast/immediate turnaround with service requests.

The best ones though will always provide reliable communications including estimates in a timely manner. But even then, if you are anxious to get things through as quickly as possible, you have to take the lead in communicating clearly and regularly as needed. And an estimate is just that, an estimate and is always subject to change.

I expect most any service event where I must ship out my gear to last weeks. That's why I always try to keep decent spare gear around to hold the fort when something in my starting lineup is on the disabled list. If you want to play a game, it always helps to have a strong bench.
Update. No response yet from Steve Winey relative to my letter. Sheila called and said she emailed the estimate last week. Nothing in my junk folder and it sounded like she had the correct email address from her voicemail message. I got an email address for Magnepan and sent her an email a few minutes ago. Hopefully I will have something to submit to FedEx to complete my damage claim in a day or two. Still no ETA on the repair.

Mrschret, feel free to ask Wendall anything you like about this situation. I already made my choice to blow off Magnepan for good. I just need to know when they will have the 3.7's repaired so I can list them on Audiogon.
Magnepan emailed the repair estimate this morning. It is only $ 381 if you can believe it! Waiting for them to send it on Magnepan stationary via scan so I can upload to FedEx website later today.

Now, hoping that FedEx will be willing to pay the entire cost of shipping and the custom crate along with the $ 381. If that can happen we can get out of this deal and forget the aggravations of the last few weeks. It appears FedEx was willing to pay at least $ 2500 and the total for this will be just a little over $ 1300 with the full bill from Craters and Freighters.

I have already undone the Conrad Johnson deal. Interestingly enough, to the best of my knowledge, CJ still has not examined damage to the ACT2. This is either the 6th or 7th week they have had the preamp.
I'm not trying to be contentious(at all), but- I wouldn't expect FEDEX to be willing to pay for anything beyond the repair costs. If they do; consider yourself to have been MAJORLY blessed!