Dont Ship UPS, Marantz tuner DOA

In reference to package id 1z1x42720301503488
I am very disapointed with the way UPS handled a stero tuner shipment to me. The unit was packed with bubble wrap and styraform peanuts in a heavy cardboard box, for shipment from NY to NJ (7 hours by car).
The appears to have been dropped with such force that the knobs actually pierced the cardboard container and the steel faceplate was bent. Also side of the box was ripped wide open, but at least someone had the sense to stick it in another box along the way (WITH NO ADDITIONAL PACKING), peanuts spilling out of the original box.

I have heard of such horror stories before and now it has happended to me.

I will never use UPS again and will go back to using FedEx as others have advised me in the past.
joegio
In most case, I suspect the damage is caused by seller's packaging method rather than handling by UPS. If you are a buyer, ask seller to use professional packaging service. Double box with no shifting space inside is a must! You can put as much as styrofoam peanuts inside, but If they get shifted to the one side you don't get protection to the other side. that's the side where the box will hit the floor first if it get dropped. As I'm also involved in shipping business for long time, I deal with UPS, Fedex, DHL, Airbourne, US Postal service & most of trucking service everyday. I've been to most of above mentioned shipping company's facility, where they all have very same equipments such as conveyer, material handling trucks. Do you know UPS & Fedex use exactly identical trucks with different color & logos only? Just think about how manufacturer packs their product. Many are double boxed with exact fitting. You need to expect the kind of handling from all of those shipping company. Your expensive high end equipment need professional packaging before it's handed to someone who only knows to deliver to the ship to address. Remember, UPS rejects the claim if it's caused by poor packaging. If you can proof UPS's mis handling of the professional packaging, they will pay for the claim.
KRELL agrees. They demanded that I not use UPS to ship to them....too much trouble with damage.
I would never send an item like a tuner without double box system as described by Ysim. If I knew a seller intended to send me an electronic piece or speakers without this packing method, I would refuse to buy. This is not a comment on your situation in particular Joegio, just something I have learned from observation. I have built a box within a box when I did not have one available. It is very simple to do. There is no sure thing when shipping, but I gotta believe the double box method would facilitate an insurance claim!
I just bought some speakers from a gent, and I insisted they were in their orginal box, then the orginal box bubble wrapped, peanuts, and in another box. I paid the extra $20, it's worth it. Whenever I sell, I strongly suggest the buyer consider the same thing. I'll take it to MailBox Etc. for the wrapping and double boxing, then over to Fed Ex for shipping. MailBox Etc. wants a ridiculous amount for shipping, do the work and take the double-boxed item to Fed Ex yourself. I also insisted on Fed Ex ground, UPS is beyond brutal. I'll NEVER use UPS for anything.
I've had more trouble with FedEx than UPS with misdelivered and damaged packages. Considering the considerable size difference in these two companies, I only ship UPS as do a clear majority of companies.