Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6
I think some have touched on one good reason or another, but what it comes down to is they just "don't care". It needs to float your boat. With that said, why would one spend money on a high end system?
I was born in 1953. This was an era when(I believe) music was spreading out into wonderfull new directions. My parents were fond of music and had many slate 75 albums. They covered artists such as Elvis, Carl Perkins,Beach Boys
Ventures,Doris Day, Frank Sinatra,Dean Martin,and Motown artists of all kinds.From the time I was a baby I was exposed to music.It did not take much time until I was buying 45s of music that made me happy.By 7th grade I was a lost soul for music. I carried around a 45 record case (plastic) with a sporting handle. A dashing BSR plastic turn table with detachable speakers that could spread out to at least 3 feet apart!I watched the Beatles get discoverd, the Rolling Stones come into fame.Jim Morrison make Ed Sullivin furious when he sang (Girl we couldn't get much higher)after agreeing not to. The Who,Elton John,Doobie Brothers,Moody Blues,Hendrix,Janis Joplin,Three Dog Night,Pink Floyd,it goes on and on. This was a special time in history! I sang in choir and ensemble and loved it. My equiptment was run of the mill at best. Before my basketball games I would get pumped up by listening to Funk 49 .The means to play the song was a General Electric cassete player with head phones. I was in perfect bliss listening to music on the lousiest of mediums. Then one day when I was shooting baskets at home and in the summer of my senior year, my neighbor that was a fireman called me over to his fence. He said to me I have noticed that you like mucic and thought that you might like this. There it was this heavy amp that had glass bottles inside.I thanked him not knowing what was about to take place. That evening I hooked up that amp, a Scott tube amp I might add and plugged in my headphones and put on an album by a band called Grand Funk Railroad. It was an album that was gold in color and the title was, "Were an American Band". Now let me tell you the goose bumps I got from hearing an album that I new inside and out, was intense. How in the world could such a feeling be possible. Dude I about cried. That man changed my life! I often wondered if he had not given me the amp if I would have discovered the level of joy I have in listening today. My tastes have expanded and my system is sick. All I can say if you know a person or persons that have a passion for music it is of little sacrifice to expose them to an experience that may change their life. Some are moved and some are not. I had a neighbor that would invite me to his and his wifes house for parties and they would have a boom box playing XM radio. Any time I visited the XM was playing. I made a comment that if they liked music so much they may want to get a better sound system. The wifey said that was all she needed and that the music was all that mattered. Later that summer I invited them over for dinner. After good food and wine I suggested that they might want to hear some music. Upon entering the dedicated sound room they were like children in Macy's toy department. Eyes wide and heads pivoting back and forth they were excited. I played an album by Dire Staits. Just so happens that the choice of music was the husbands favorite album. The look on both of their faces was of utter bewilderment. Six hours later I had to put an end to the session as I was very tired. Upon leaving the wife asked if there was any way possible I would go with them to purchase a system of cost of around $2000 and I said I would be glad to.They how have a system that brings them great pleasure. Rock on audiophiles!
Why this point is so elusive to so many of you I cannot imagine but because I am patient and caring and a credit to my race, I will try once again to move this point close enough for y'all to grasp.

I don't personally care about hang-gliding, canasta, rodeo or bowling. Golf does not matter to me. many of the things that obsessive proponents adore and recommend reside well beyond the circle of my interests.

MANY PEOPLE FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT AUDIO. They just don't friggin care. It is not because they haven't yet heard your system. It is not because they are still on the near side of the great awakening. It is because the things that matter to a crazy few generally do not appeal to the greater population.

Let it go. It just means more for you. Sit back and gloat. The masses will be fine without indoctrination. They don't need you to "save" them.
Macro, as rational as your explanation sounds, it can never fully explain the situation. Funds and physical accomodations can be limiting factors for a period of time. So just because someone doesn't own a nice system doesn't mean they don't care. I think ALL people are fasciniated and excited by great audio (is it not a major selling point for movies?)

The difference is, that for a small minority of us, that fascination somehow "takes hold" and we want to have that kind of wonderful sound in our personal environment. I don't need to validate my interests by foisting them on others, or gloat that "those peons just don't know what they're missing". But I always have a minute to share my system with people who have no clue about high-end audio, and if they are fascinated like I was/am, they don't need me to push them into it. "Audio" creats addicts on the first snort -- or never!