CD players - Luxman vs. Esoteric?

I am considering a stereo system with either a Luxman (D-06 or DU-08) or Esoteric X-05 CD player.

Any thoughts on how Luxman compares to Esoteric?

Regards,

Mark
toronto416
It sounds like the Wadia 381, at around $7K, should also be considered. It is Redbook only cdp (no SACD), but then again most of my cds are Redbook only...

Has anyone compared it to the Esoteric X-05?

Regards,

Mark
Come on, this is a no brainer. 20 years ago? Luxman...

Today? Esoteric X-05 CD for sure.
Chatta,
That's a rather naive comment. 20 years ago Alpine nearly caused Luxman's extinction. Today's Luxman products are Fantastic.

Toronto416,
If it is shear resolution you are looking for, Esoteric will out perform the Luxman digital gear. However, if you are looking for musicality and tonal accuracy, you may want to try the Luxman. From my experience having owned a DU-80, the Luxman gear must be given time in evaluating as they tend to be more laid back in presentation, initially sounding as if they lack in detail retrieval. However the information is there, it is just not front row like other players.
Thanks Andrew.

Though I cannot yet audition them, I am leaning towards either the DU-80 or the newer D-06 (which the local dealer will shortly have on demo). The DU-80 has certainly received some rave reviews, especially for its fluid musicality and build quality.

How do you find the quality of the transport mechanism? I beleive that the DU-80 uses a modified Pioneer transport. Luxman now makes their own transport mechanism for the D-05, D-06, and D-08.

I have auditioned one of the Luxman integrated amps, and the sound and build quality were outstanding. I will order either a 509u or a 590Aii.

Esoteric has penetrated the North American cd player market to a much greater extent than Luxman, so it is encouraging to hear some positive feedback as I get the sense that Luxman does make outstanding cdps.

Regards,

Mark
Can’t you make a deal with your dealer? Buy the whole package there. Buy the Luxeman D-06, the L509u and the Verity Audio Parsifal Ovation at the same dealer. This way you will have a good bargaining position. And maybe you can make a deal that if the D-06 isn't that good that you can return it for minimal loss. I’m not that familiar with Luxeman but I think this should be a great set. Simple, good looking and a great sound. But it is a little bit of a gamble.