VPI periphery record ring for VPI Scoutmaster

How much of an improvement does the VPI steel periphery record ring make? Do you think it's worth the $500 US retail price? Or would it be advisable to first look for the SDS, then afterwards purchase the ring? I'll be using it on a Scoutmaster turntable.
lornoah
I just bought a Scoutmaster with Sig Arm upgrade, weight, ring, and VPI IC's. No SDS or HRX motor as of yet. Obviously the SDS is next, but I'm wondering how big of a change the HRX motor really is once you have all the other stuff? $1500 is a bit salty for the motor imho. You really don't have a choice but to buy a new one (no resales).

Also, any recommendations for a cartridge with this rig? Mostly jazz, acoustic. System is Wadia 861SE GNSC, Joule OPS2, LA150, VZN-100's, Merlin VSM-MX, Sound Application Reference LineStage filter, Cardas GR cables.

Tom
sumiko celebration. i have the same analog rig, 'cept a dynavector p75 phono. and i have the sds. celebration is a terrific cart that for some reason many don't use/know about. really great for the type of music you listed.
Hi Tms0425, I have the scoutmaster with sig arm but no ring clamp or SDS as yet. I also use a Joule Electra amp (VZN-80) and Merlin VSM-M speakers. I use the Denon 103R cartridge and I love its sound. I have heard the Shelter Cartridges sound good with this combo also.
Thanks all. I've considered the various Shelters, Sumiko Blackbird, but wasn't too aware of the Celebration. Is it a similar cart to the Blackbird (only better)? I'm not to familiar with current generation of Denons though I had a 103D long ago. I know I need something with a somewhat warm (not analytical) tonal balance for the Merlin setup.
the celebration is probably a couple steps up from the blackbird, which is a very good cart. here's a review from a couple of years ago:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0402/sumikocelebration.htm