Zu OMEN - hmm

I might still be under the influence of the open baffle Spatial Hologram I heard at CAS14 earlier this month... wow! Top sound in my (and my friend's) book. Or the Magico S5 room (omg is that resolution level for real? you can hear the grass grow through those things).

I went to the Zu room as well - hoping to hear some well setup Zu speakers and learn about the right way to do it - but the sound was awful (sorry Sean) so I did not bother asking.

Yesterday I ran into a video advice on "setup tips with Seam Casey from Zu Audio". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCoKDfdxzDg

Bingo! Now I will learn how to make my Omens sing - from the man himself.

What did Sean Casey say in the video? To stop tweaking the bottom gap, tilt and toe-in, stop adjusting them, stop doing all this nonsense that gets old fast. Why? because they already sound good right out of the box, that's why. Spend my money on music instead.

Hmm - what if they actually DON'T sound good? Is there some advice for that case? What if, after the 3 years I had them, many SS and tube amps, days of gap adjustment, tilt adjustment, swap of few speaker cables including Zu Libtec, what if they still sound like an amplified live event through a pro speaker on a stadium? (Incidentally - all adjustments do make a difference, but mostly between dull and blare. I know, I'm probably too harsh, but that video got me really upset).

I hope that my recent listening to real speakers at CAS will soon wear off so that I can return to living with my Omens that "sound good right out of the box".

Or I might have to buy the Holograms. The tough part would be to convince my medium-size dogs to stay away from those beryllium transducers located so close to the ground. Maybe if I throw in the Omens to sweeten the deal? That should keep them busy for about 3 years?

Choices, choices.
cbozdog
Dear all,

Thank you for chiming in with your experience on the Zu speakers fussiness. The OP was more of a tongue-in-cheek at the cheeky marketing totally disconnected from customer. Your comments took the discussion in a more constructive direction.

With your encouragement, I did more tweaking.

I finally (for now, in my room) found the gap for most satisfying musical rendition be about 9.5mm with about 0.0mm tilt. Now when I say "about" I don't mean "set it to some value around 9.5mm". I mean "set it within about 1/10mm of the perfect value (which I cannot measure accurately due to hardwood / speaker bottom imperfections, but seems to be around 9.5mm). Changing the gap from "perfect" even by 1/10 changes the tone (the vocal sss and th and ch turn dull - very easily identifiable as the soundstage tilts towards the other speaker).

Which brings me to the method (admittedly imperfect): first I tweaked the gap of both speakers (one at the time) and listened for clarity and soundstage tilt. At one point, one of the speakers sounded clear and provided the view into the detail of the performance. I left it alone, measured with an upside-down nut and bolt the gap under each foot (turned the bolt until the combination nut/bolt matched the height at that point) then transferred it exactly to the corresponding foot of the other speaker. And did some more minute adjustments to the level of 2/10mm.

Finally - I can understand why a solid plank of wood (or granite) under each speaker with 3/8" screws passing through and providing the gap adjustment might be better than speakers directly on hardwood: the bottom seen by the finger ports (the solid plank) can be made perfectly flat (whereas the room hardwood is what it is), the gap can be tuned much easier, and set for good (so the speakers can be moved without spending days on gap fine-tuning). I might consider this solution at a later time.

Is the Omen providing now the perfect experience? Hard to say (I'm still reminescing the CAS). It does provide a high level of detail with this gap setup, and the sound does not harden at any volume level. The soundstage is not perfect (possibly due to speakers being too close together, also possibly due to residual gap imperfection that might slightly tilt different frequencies towards either of the speakers) - in other words then do not disappear completely. So - is probably still not as good as it can get in a perfect world.

If I decide to fiddle with it more I'd probably go the bottom plank route instead of keeping them on hardwood.

Thank you again for all the help.

C.
Chi dog, Zu's like to be spaced wide apart. If you have room space them about 10ft. from the tweeter center point and work from there.
For what is worth, I had my Druids on squares of tile that rested on my carpeted floor. It made the adjustments much easier and consistent. I also used stacks of typing paper under the speakers between the spikes to experiment with gaps rather than adjusting the spikes each time.

Best luck with them, they have a strong following. I wanted mine to work and I am stubborn, so I worked my butt off on them, just couldn't get it right.
Snopro,

I hear you.

WAF is non-negligible factor here. The best I can do at this point is keep room and spacing in mind as possible reason for part of the limitations regarding soundstage.

Thanks, C
Cbozdog -

Can you be more specific in what you liked about the Spatial Hologram and what was driving them, if you call?