Zu OMEN - hmm

I might still be under the influence of the open baffle Spatial Hologram I heard at CAS14 earlier this month... wow! Top sound in my (and my friend's) book. Or the Magico S5 room (omg is that resolution level for real? you can hear the grass grow through those things).

I went to the Zu room as well - hoping to hear some well setup Zu speakers and learn about the right way to do it - but the sound was awful (sorry Sean) so I did not bother asking.

Yesterday I ran into a video advice on "setup tips with Seam Casey from Zu Audio". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCoKDfdxzDg

Bingo! Now I will learn how to make my Omens sing - from the man himself.

What did Sean Casey say in the video? To stop tweaking the bottom gap, tilt and toe-in, stop adjusting them, stop doing all this nonsense that gets old fast. Why? because they already sound good right out of the box, that's why. Spend my money on music instead.

Hmm - what if they actually DON'T sound good? Is there some advice for that case? What if, after the 3 years I had them, many SS and tube amps, days of gap adjustment, tilt adjustment, swap of few speaker cables including Zu Libtec, what if they still sound like an amplified live event through a pro speaker on a stadium? (Incidentally - all adjustments do make a difference, but mostly between dull and blare. I know, I'm probably too harsh, but that video got me really upset).

I hope that my recent listening to real speakers at CAS will soon wear off so that I can return to living with my Omens that "sound good right out of the box".

Or I might have to buy the Holograms. The tough part would be to convince my medium-size dogs to stay away from those beryllium transducers located so close to the ground. Maybe if I throw in the Omens to sweeten the deal? That should keep them busy for about 3 years?

Choices, choices.
cbozdog
For what is worth, I had my Druids on squares of tile that rested on my carpeted floor. It made the adjustments much easier and consistent. I also used stacks of typing paper under the speakers between the spikes to experiment with gaps rather than adjusting the spikes each time.

Best luck with them, they have a strong following. I wanted mine to work and I am stubborn, so I worked my butt off on them, just couldn't get it right.
Snopro,

I hear you.

WAF is non-negligible factor here. The best I can do at this point is keep room and spacing in mind as possible reason for part of the limitations regarding soundstage.

Thanks, C
Cbozdog -

Can you be more specific in what you liked about the Spatial Hologram and what was driving them, if you call?
If I remember right they were driven by a 300B.

On one hand it was the lack of box resonance (there was no wood or MDF vibrating to add audible contribution). On the other hand - the bottom extension was very good (probably owing to the 2 15' drivers covering a lot of area). It felt clean, extremely precise and satisfying. I tried to find a fault but could not.

Comparing with other rooms I liked, the Magico S5 felt unreal - as if you'd grown superhuman hearing, and the Pass Labs room (running a vintage set of Tannoy drivers in handmade MDF huge enclosures) felt pleasant, motherly, somewhat imprecise but very easy to befriend and immerse into.

But the Holograms - I could not find any issue (neither scary, endearing or any other flaw).

They were saying that there is NO room correction of any kind. If I remember right (again) - there was a mac mini on a stabilizer shelf on the floor, but they were running analog source from the back of the room. But I might be mistaken about the analog (too many rooms...).

Thanks
C.
Cbozdog,

That does appear to be a problematic room. And I understand that circumstances prevail, but it would seem that you would have issues with any speaker.

Is there any other room in the house that would work? A basement that could be finished, spare bedroom, anything?

Shakey