Vintage Denon Direct Drive Turntable

I have been interested in experimenting with a direct drive TT for some time just to see what all the fuss is about. I would be comparing it to my belt drive TERES.

Does anyone have any experience with a Denon DK 2300 TT with the DP 80 Servo controlled direct drive motor? These came out in the '80s, I believe. The base allowed for two arms as well.

Is this TT worth the time and effort?
128x128zargon
I have own a Denon DP80 with a DK2300 plinth since 1980 and it has performed perfectly without any fault. It is heavy, over sixty pounds in weight.

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/2mnhla9.jpg[/IMG]
Kcc123, Aha! I see that the DK2300 plinth is a two-armboard version of the DK300 that I own with my DP80. Thanks for the photo. Since you have owned your tt for 30 years, can you tell us if you've ever done ANY maintenance on the tt bearing? This is a subject that is not even mentioned in any Denon literature, including the DP80 Service Manual. Denon does not even reveal what kind of bearing is used in the DP80 (or any other of its tables of that era, as far as I know). I have come to believe that it is a sealed bearing that requires no periodic oil change, but I have to guess that Denon was not thinking about 30 years of use when they built the thing. Any insight would be appreciated.
I had a DP75 which was similar with the two piece platter. It was a less expensive version of the 80 for some reason,can't remember what the difference was. About a year old the speed became unregulated and it took off like a helicopter!Interesting arrangement, a tape recorder head that read a magnetic strip on the inside of the platter.Sent it back to Denon who could not fix it and therefore exchanged it with a "B" stock unit. 307 is a terrible arm design with mushy rubber seperating the arm tube from the pivot point.No rigidity and extreme loss of information. I would be nervous about one of these today,the rubber would probably be dried out making the arm useless.401 is a better arm,but needs a low mass high compliance cartridge.
Dear Donshoemaker: As a fact the 75 has better specs than the 80.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
So far, I have not done any maintaince on its bearing. I believe Denon motor units very much resemble to my other JVC turntable motors which are also sealed and do not need any oil change at all. My DP80 has, no doubt, proved to be a testament to its great reliability - a tribute to Denon.