Scout drive upgrade

I've had some expensive tables and am back to a humble, stock Scout, which I think is an amazing performer when properly isolated and given a good cart & phono preamp.

I've been listening to it for about six months now and the only thing that does occasionally intrude on my listening is it's noticeably non-exemplary speed stability. Looking at the rubber belt drive, it seems to me that must be a weak point.

I would appreciate suggestions on improving the drive system, either by using a different belt or possibly a total replacement (rim)?
paulfolbrecht
I knew I should have said "no SDS". :) When I had an ultra-tricked out Scoutmaster setup a few years ago I had it, and found *little* difference. I have very clean AC.

I don't think that's the problem.

I think a Scout rim drive could be killer and is probably the best bet.

(I will never forget a demo of the Teres rim drive at RMAF 07. Took that already stellar table to another level.)

I should probably try a thread first, if that will work.

By the way I tried moving the motor assy farther from the platter tonight and that actually made a difference from the better.

Thanks
"*little* difference."

You didn't have stable speed with the SDS? I've never heard that from anyone. Hmmm....

Wendell
Ok, you are rather right - I contradicted myself. I complained of lack of speed stability and a speed controller will certainly address that.

I think the motor drive with the rubber belt has issues other than speed stability, actually - it may just be a lack of drive ability. As in the sort an idler gives you. That is the sort of difference a rim drive brings as well.

I am going to look into a rim drive setup.
Hello Paul,

I have solved the speed problem with the addition of a used PS Audio P-300. It stabilizes the voltage provided to the motor, $400. I wound up getting the 300RPM motor as well, which helped. I tried converting to string drive, but gave that up, the smaller diameter string changes the speed, so you would have to go with the SDS to use it.

This setup works very well for me. I agree with you about proper isolation, it has worked wonders. To better this would require much more money to be spent, I believe.

Enjoy,
Dan
The 300 RPM motor makes a real difference for not much money. I would start there.