Uni-Protractor Set tonearm alignment

Looks like Dertonarm has put his money where his mouth is and designed the ultimate universal alignment tractor.

Early days, It would be great to hear from someone who has used it and compared to Mint, Feikert etc.

Given its high price, it will need to justify its superiority against all others. It does look in another league compared to those other alignemt devices

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtnrm&1303145487&/Uni-Protractor-Set-tonearm-ali
downunder
Dear Thom_mackris, you've hit the nail's head. Although it was Syntax' who deserves the credits for the phrase you quoted.
I think we all too often lightly and needless give away quality of performance right here at the very start and without realizing. This is the "very core point" I wanted to address with the UNI-Pro. Enabling everybody to very precise alignment with ease and universality.
Cheers,
D.
Pgtaylor, Dertonearm …

It goes without saying that we're venturing into the fine " ether" of tonearm setup. With respect to SME's and the upper end Schroeder tonearms, the effective length changes require a bit of trigonometry, or a CAD program to determine, and producing a protractor dedicated to a particular cartridge needs to take this into account.

Follow me …

1. The effective length is the STRAIGHT LINE distance from the stylus tip to the tonearm bearing.
2. The cartridge is offset, per Baerwald/Loefgren/Stevenson geometry

So, merely adding the effective length difference will not give you the correct results (close, but no cigar). A cartridge whose stylus is 1mm further forward than a statistically "normal" cartridge increases the effective length by less than 1mm.

I just modeled a Tri-Planar on my CAD tool. I chose this arm because I had the numbers handy: effective length = 250mm, offset angle = 21.949 for Baerwaald. I assumed a 40mm long headhell (the offset component) for this exercise.

A cartridge with a stylus positioned 1mm forward of the statistical norm increases the effective length by.9275mm, for a net effective length of 250.9275mm. Simple addition would predict 251mm, or a variance of .0725mm (.0028"),

.0028" is within the threshold of audibility for a high performance analog rig, which is why everyone on this thread has justifiably been whipped into a frenzy over a better tool.

The takeaway from this is that any protractor generated for arms like the SME V, and the upper end Schroeders, needs to take the effective length, the length of the ofset section of the arm wand, and the proposed geometry into consideration.

I posted the drawing to the following URL for anyone who's interested: http://www.galibierdesign.com/images/forum/Eff_length_Model.pdf.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
Tom Mackris.
Of course you are right when you say that the extra stylus tip-mounting holes distance cannot simply added to the manufacturer's stated effective length for the tonearm. In fact I was aware of that. What I was trying to illustrate was a way to measure the actual effective length (rather than calculating it) by effectively drawing a line (but in fact using the Feickert trammel to simulate it) from the stylus point to the arm pivot 'as the crow flies' (and then measuring it). Surely this (leaving aside for the moment any practical difficulties in achieving it) would give the correct measurement (?).
regards.
I understand what you were trying to accomplish, Pgtaylor. This was an illustrative example for those who haven't worked through the math.

BTW, do you really think that the Feickert has the precision to measure to .003"? If you can do this with that tool, you're a better man than I am.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier (the "h" is silent)
Dear Thuchan: I like almost all use audio after market items, I own no least than 9 different protractors but you know why?: because my ignorance level over time.
Fortunately that level improve over the years.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.