Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Greetings Banquo,
Signs of life??.......that sounds hopeful.
Did you form any meaningful impressions in the time you were able to listen?

Good luck from hereon in.
I would surmise that Mahler's Symphony No2 would sound very good on Banquo's Victor.
Banquo and other TT-101 owners. Don't know why, but when my TT-101 is recalcitrant about getting started after a day off, I turn on the power and spin the platter by hand backwards (just get it going fast and let it spin down). It then is ready to play on.

Glad to hear that you are getting to hear this beauty. I don't recall if you are using it nude or not but either way, enjoy.
Dear Banquo, Based on your recent experience, it is possible that you have not yet fried irreplaceable parts or circuitry that is inscrutable to even Bill Thalmann. So it could not hurt and might help a lot if you just have someone remove and replace ALL the electrolytic capacitors. Bill is probably tired of spending most of his time repairing direct-drive turntables. If you can dig up a schematic or a service manual, you might eventually arouse his interest. You might try a Japanese source. But meantime, my advice is do the lytic caps; it is probably necessary and certainly cannot hurt. The parts cost will be well under $50.

Even Howard Stearn, the guy who runs the L07D website, has given up on repairing and restoring L07D's. I think my second one was the last that he was willing to do. He's an orthopedic surgeon by day, so one wonders why he ever got into it in the first place. There's more money in hip replacements.