Audio Logic 24MXL compared to Audio Logic 34MXL

I currently own the 24MXL and would like comments from people who are familiar with this DAC and have heard the new 34MXL. I had intended to wait a year or two and save money for the APL NWO 2.5 (single box player) which is really expensive. The rest of my system is CEC TL2 transport, CAT Ult MK2 preamp,
CAT JL2 amp, Avalon Osiris speakers all wired with top of the line Stealth. I know that the digital front end while not bad is the weakest link in this system and the next target for an upgrade.

Bart
posbwp555
Audioezra,

Thanks for the post. I have been waiting for someone that has actually listened to both DAC's to respond. I guess you sold your 24MXL and purchased a new 34MXL? I have been calling Jerry relentlessly for 24MXL upgrade information but he hasn't finalized anything yet. I will probably wait for an upgrade to be offered. Can you name any high end DAC's you have auditioned (EMM, APL, etc.) and compare their strengths and weaknesses relative to the 34MXL?

Bart
I'm still comparing the 2400 (upgraded Mosel 34 with the transformer coupling and 24-bit chips) to the EMM Labs DCC2 SE. Can't say anything definitive yet, as the EMM is hooked up to its matching transport and the Audio Logic to my Forsell, but right now there's a definite similarity in terms of smoothness and naturalness of presentation and just plain listening enjoyment. The EMM has more deep bass extension and definition, more transparency, has more pronounced macro-dynamics (about the same in small shifts, though) and overall probably digs out a bit more information. Another, perhaps most noticeable, difference is in tonal balance, the Audio Logic being tilted towards the lower mids/upper bass, having a slightly "darker", "wetter" sound, while the EMM has a slightly lighter overall tonal balance. Not sure if it's the Forsell or the DAC that is the source of the differnces, though; that's the next test. The Forsell has an ability to mimic analog that all other transports I've heard can't quite match, and that may be a source of some of the differences. I'll try to report on that when I listen, but in truth, I like the EMM so much on SACD I rarely listen to CD on it. Right now, comparing apples to oranges, my feeling is that the Forsell/Audio Logic combination sounds closer to vinyl playback than normal digital, while the EMM Labs, especially on well-recorded, DSD SACDs, sounds closer to a master tape (and having heard 24 bit 88khx masters on my system last week, I am pretty certain about this comparison) than normal digital playback. I have not yet sold the Forsell/AL, because I really do like its sound on CD; I'm still using both of the digital setups, and enjoying them both. That should tell you a bit about how good the Audio Logic is.
Rcprince, Did you purchase the EMM combo? It will be interesting to hear what happens when you run the EMM DAC
on the Forsell transport and the AL on the EMM transport.
Are you using the same power cords and digital cable on them? The last time I talked to Jerry about the upgrade,
he said that he thought it may cost about a thousand but hasn't worked out the best (most cost effective) upgrade yet. He may have decided that there is more money in selling new 34MXL's than upgrading 24MXL's. Can't blame him, it is a business.

Bart
Yes, I did buy the EMM Labs combo--on SACD it is truly stunning. I'll let you know when I switch the digital transports. Right now I still enjoy both of them too much to do any experimenting.
Ezra,

Didn't you have your 24MXL modified by TRL? Also, what happened to the Esoteric X03 combo?