DVD player recomendations

Ok I have a good one for fellow "goners" I have a Pioneer DV 414 dvd player that is probably close to 5 years old and looking to upgrade.My budget is somewhere around $5-700.00 and I am willing to bump it up to $1000 if the difference will be dramatic enough.I actually would prefer buying used to make my dollar go further.I am after a dvd player that will"smoke the doors" on my 414 in audio and video.SACD is not a important option or the DVI for that matter.If I can get some recomendations to get me started in the right direction,would be a great help.
Thank,Tim
timperry
I don't think that you are going to find a one-box solution to your quest. I would recommend you spend a little time at hometheaterhifi.com. This would give you a great course in video quality and analysis. They review many dvd players. Sad to say, but the high end dvd players do not put out the best picture. You therefore must compromise other aspects in order to obtain great video.
I also think that the processors used for video keep improving at a faster rate than audio. An even slightly newer dvd player will exhibit better performance than a slighlty older one
Samsung Pro 1000HD, I have not seen a player that does a better job. Should be around 1000.00 if you can find one used.
Any Denon player that uses the Silicon Image chip -- the video quality is
superb and the audio is also good. The Denon's always kick tail on the Home Theater DVD shootout.
Hello Timperry
I have the Marantz DV12S1... great unit... You can find used units on Audiogon for 800-1000,$2700 when it was new. I had "Sony Something" then a Marantz DV7100... then the DV12. Excellent bass !!!!!!! Plays CD's well for that matter. Picture is the best of the 3 I've had...and is DVD Audio capable .. Good Luck !!!!!