DVD player recomendations

Ok I have a good one for fellow "goners" I have a Pioneer DV 414 dvd player that is probably close to 5 years old and looking to upgrade.My budget is somewhere around $5-700.00 and I am willing to bump it up to $1000 if the difference will be dramatic enough.I actually would prefer buying used to make my dollar go further.I am after a dvd player that will"smoke the doors" on my 414 in audio and video.SACD is not a important option or the DVI for that matter.If I can get some recomendations to get me started in the right direction,would be a great help.
Thank,Tim
timperry
Any Denon player that uses the Silicon Image chip -- the video quality is
superb and the audio is also good. The Denon's always kick tail on the Home Theater DVD shootout.
Hello Timperry
I have the Marantz DV12S1... great unit... You can find used units on Audiogon for 800-1000,$2700 when it was new. I had "Sony Something" then a Marantz DV7100... then the DV12. Excellent bass !!!!!!! Plays CD's well for that matter. Picture is the best of the 3 I've had...and is DVD Audio capable .. Good Luck !!!!!
Arcam would be my pick, audio-wise. The Denon 2200 is also worth looking at (on the bargain end), and even though you don't NEED SACD, you might want to check out the Sony DVP-NS999ES.

Tom.
Would go with the Arcam FMJ unit, however the Cal Audio 2500 is right at the top as well. Frankly I have a lot of trust in Widesceen review and the following DVD players are currently be utilized in this months "reference systems"

Denon THX Ultra DVD9000
Sony DVP S7700
Arcam DV 27A
California Audio Labs CL-2500
Sony DVP-S9000ES

Don't think you'd go wrong with any of the above