Possible Desktop Speakers?

I have been looking around a lot after my mini maggies thread to see if any speakers would be a better choice. Honestly, though I have no clue what to really look for in a speaker. So here I am hoping to get some ideas from the forum members. The room is mid/large (17 feet by 24 feet and its a rectangle with one corner chopped off). I have seen KEF LS50's, Peachtree D5, and Focal electra 1008 BE on the internet. Are any of these better then the mini maggies in a decently large room?
jkman
Jkman...what's your budget?
And do u plan on bookshelf speakers with a subwoofer? (also with a room that size you could go with floorstanders).

** Are they literally being placed on a desk or just bookshelf size, because in the other thread you were talking about using some powerful amps?
Lowrider57 - I would say max 5k for 2 speakers (my wife might strangle me if I go higher and I like breathing). They will be sitting on a desk next to my monitor (its a big L shape desk). I cant really go with floor standing because space is a premium for me and my wife wouldn't like speakers just sitting on the floor in front of my desk. I did plan on getting a sub woofer but my decent i choice didn't seem to go well with the Magnepans and I fear I wouldn't know which one to go with (I would like the sub to stay in the decent I price range).
For the money, I find it hard to argue with active powered speakers.

Dynaudio Xeo 3 or better yet the Focus 110A. They also have a range of studio active speakers BM series? I think

The Focal Solo6Be (similar to the 1008Be but cheaper by a fair bit and powered).

The studio speakers may lose out a bit on the nice wooden finish of the hifi counterparts but they have the good stuff where it matters.