Possible Desktop Speakers?

I have been looking around a lot after my mini maggies thread to see if any speakers would be a better choice. Honestly, though I have no clue what to really look for in a speaker. So here I am hoping to get some ideas from the forum members. The room is mid/large (17 feet by 24 feet and its a rectangle with one corner chopped off). I have seen KEF LS50's, Peachtree D5, and Focal electra 1008 BE on the internet. Are any of these better then the mini maggies in a decently large room?
jkman
Jkman...what's your budget?
And do u plan on bookshelf speakers with a subwoofer? (also with a room that size you could go with floorstanders).

** Are they literally being placed on a desk or just bookshelf size, because in the other thread you were talking about using some powerful amps?
Lowrider57 - I would say max 5k for 2 speakers (my wife might strangle me if I go higher and I like breathing). They will be sitting on a desk next to my monitor (its a big L shape desk). I cant really go with floor standing because space is a premium for me and my wife wouldn't like speakers just sitting on the floor in front of my desk. I did plan on getting a sub woofer but my decent i choice didn't seem to go well with the Magnepans and I fear I wouldn't know which one to go with (I would like the sub to stay in the decent I price range).
For the money, I find it hard to argue with active powered speakers.

Dynaudio Xeo 3 or better yet the Focus 110A. They also have a range of studio active speakers BM series? I think

The Focal Solo6Be (similar to the 1008Be but cheaper by a fair bit and powered).

The studio speakers may lose out a bit on the nice wooden finish of the hifi counterparts but they have the good stuff where it matters.

Ancient Audio makes really good powered speakers for just this purpose. They have been reviewed in 6Moons and are sold in th US by Stereo Desk of Boston.