Cables more hype than value?

What are the opinions out there?
tobb
a very VERY long time ago i compared a $30 pair of OFC cables (rca-1M) to a $125 pair with teflon and some other features. the system consisted of a Hafler amplifier, a decent but not SOTA CD player, and a pair of panel speakers with a powered woofer. the speaker cables were OFC cut from a spool and terminated in-house with spades. i heard increased clarity and definition with the pricier cables, and so did everyone else in the room. while it was not night and day,
the degree of improvement impressed me enough that i bought a couple of pairs. if you can find a similar pair of cables costing around the same amount-
$250 or less a pair, that can and will settle a lot of arguments, and they will probably come with some very high-quality plugs on the ends (to make a secure connction.
beyond that you need very good equipment before getting significant additional benefits. of course this is just one example of getting started with something better than the "included in the box" type of cables.
Why is it that when someone can't hear, or dosen't want to hear, differences in cables, they always start talking about psychology?
Anyone need a quick cool million? Better hurry before some guru beats you to it. Btw, this is not the only million dollars on the table. Others have offered the same thing. The oracle at stereophile raised his hand, but quickly backed off. I guess he pondered the consequences of failure. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Pear ANJOU Speaker Cables – $7,250

Pear Cable Corporation’s ANJOU Speaker Cable, a 12 foot length of which retails for $7,250, reportedly “allow new levels of sonic accuracy to be explored.” Supposedly, this exploration is accomplished by “proprietary hybrid geometry,” “ultra low electrical reactance” and “fully annealed 99.999% pure oxygen free Copper.”

In response to a glowing review by Dave Clark, editor of Positive Feedback, in which he refers to the cables as “very danceable”, the James Randi Educational Foundation offered a million-dollar prize to anyone who can prove beyond the shadow of doubt that these expensive speaker cables actually perform better (to the human ear, mind you) than Monster Cable’s $80 HDMI cables. While the prize is available to anyone who can prove the superiority of the ANJOU cables, the JREF unabashedly directs this challenge at Mr. Clark himself. In fact, the JREF apparently has MANY SUCH UNCLAIMED prizes for audiophiles who can PROVE that certain exotic piece of audio equipment are actually as exceptional as they claim.

“very danceable” hahahahhahahahhah REALLY!!!
Just the facts! Use them as you will. :)

Cheers
Amazing just how short it takes to go into the weeds. And flounder there. Hopefully, this thread will have a short life.

Personally, I've found that there is a difference but the differences pale in comparison to the price the higher up you go.

Tobb, have your tried different cables? If not, go to http://www.thecableco.com/ and try their 30 day trial program. All you'll be out is shipping costs and 5% of the cable price-you can decide for yourself.

All the best,
Nonoise
Everything in audio is more hype than value, including cables.

If that doesn't answer your question Tobb, Schipo will be along shortly to give you the straight scoop ;)