Lamm ML1.1 & ML 2.1

Hi,

I've the opportunity to heard 2 times the ML2.1 - 18 watts class A - first time on JM Lab Grande Utopia BE and the other one, on Kharma CRM 3.2

I love the sound of the ML2.1 : so natural, so human...

But I don't know the lower priced ML1.1 - the 90 watts -I'm living in France and it's not well distributed.

What differs between both in terms of sound ?

Do you know other amp with this kind of natural sound - at same price or lower !!!!

Thanks

David
davidri
Interesting

I just bought circa 1965 NOS Telefunken ECC 83 rib plates and I was blown away as to how much better the ML 2.1 sounds as compared to the 12AX7 tubes supplied by Vladimir. Mine were Sylvania.

I did research on the tubes and everyone recommended the rib plate vs the smooth plate

I also managed to buy circa 1957 NOS Mullard 12AX7 long plate with square getter halo. I find these to be warmer than the Telefunken but not quite as detailed
If you have the opportunity to audition the Convergent Audio Technologies JL-2 amplifer (100 Watts, Class A, Triode), I would do so. Along with the LAMMs, among the best.
The JL-2 is a completely different beast than the Lamm. My very close friend has JL-2's. I have heard them and find them excellent but in a different sort of way than the ML 2.1.

I would compare the JL-2 to my last amp--Audio Research Reference 600 Mk lll's
I have a different type of system,yet one that is incredibly musical,to me.Rowland modded two chassis 8t amp(switch mode PS in second chassis,taking the place of battery,and even quieter),driving fairly large Avalon speakers,with a REL Stentor sub(coming in at 25 hz).I cannot be happier with my sound,and have owned a ton of stuff.Speakers are quite sensitive,and demand little of this superb amp.So sonically it is really quite effortless.As good a solid state based set-up as I've heard,and to me, at least as good as the high powered tube stuff,as well,though my phono stage is tubed,thank God!

Now for the meat of my post.Though I have friends owning superb high power push/pull tubed designs,all driving superb systems,I am still confident that my set-up remains at the very least,as musical as those systems(almost all my stuff is heavily modded).Actually I prefer my own type of presentation,in my room.EXCEPT---I have always prided myself as NOT being a rationalizer,in this fun hobby.It's hard to admit to something being better,when one has spent their own dollars.Well to be candid,and I only mentioned the info,in the first paragraph to lend some gravity to the following,which is-------I have been exposed to the Lamm 18 watt mono "treasures" on quite a few occassions.Driving Kharma 3.2's,as well as midi Exquisites.I have heard them driving a few other efficient designs,as well.I've also heard the 90 watters,on the same speakers.Though superb(remember this is only my opinion,but I own NONE of this stuff,yet that "Gestalt" business clearly stands out to me,and I've been at this hobby about 37 years)it is clearly the smaller wattage amp that is the "Dream Catcher",when partnering a really good match in speakers.So good,that the business of "does it go low enough,or crack plaster,or would it sound great on an MTV type rig" flies completely out the window.Actually,it's jet propelled out the window!!Glass,frame and all!

I personally think the adding of a sub,if mated with a speaker like the 3.2(I have heard the Kharma sub,on a few occassions)ruins the magic of this amp/speaker combo.That "gestalt" thing again!!

I am SO smitten by the magic of this amp(not necessarily a Kharma speaker,btw,though they are fine,even with the almost absurd overpricing),that I will most likely be HAPPY to give up all the stunning dynamic inpact,and bass depth(not to mention I have damn good tone color as of now,and a stunning soundstage,yet nothing touches the little Lamm mono blocks,Imo)that I live with now.I MUST own these,some day!!Like that character,in the movie "Close Encounters of The Third Kind",I keep saying-"This means something"!I guess I get it.It only took me 37 hobby years,to figure it out!!!

These amps are SO good,to me,that I have completely rearranged my musical perspective.Everything I've loved over the years,and all audio preconceived notions,of how a system should perform,is now DEFUNCT,by the fact that these amps exist.Obviously they will need a simple set-up,with some potential compromises.I don't care!!Nothing wrong with a nice two way,for a different look(actually,"listen")as compared to my previous full range stuff.BTW-I'm quite aware that these amps kick butt,and can deliver quite a full range sound,"if the correct speakers are chosen".There's the rub!!

Best to all!!