Integrated amp for my Sonus Faber Guarneri

Need a good advise here since the possibility of listen before i buy is limited. No hard-rock fan, else all kind of music. On my short list at the moment are Pathos (Classic), Sugden, BAT, Creek, Edge, Lavardin, CJ.
eibe
Hi Lloydelee - I only have integrated amps right now (Luxman and McIntosh), but I guess I could lug one of those over and just compare the pre-outs, if the shop doesn't have one of the same models. That would be difficult if I take the bullet train to Tokyo or elsewhere, but no problem for testing stuff in the (one) local shop. Thanks for the tip. I should have thought of that!
D.I.L.E. I own a CAT SL1 Sig. This is the first preamp that Ken Stevens starting using the current heavy duty chassis with. I have rolled in tubes into my unit which I think has helped enormously. IMHO, this preamp is still VERY competitive with the best I have heard. If you can get a chance to listen, then i would suggest that you take that opportunity. I do ask that you inquire of the Seller as to how old the tubes are in the unit and if they have been changed out, what is currently being used. ( The choice of tubes can greatly change the character of the SL1, like most preamps that is sometimes NOT for the better). Another thing to consider, what amp you will be using with the preamp you will ultimately end up with? While the CAT works well with most amps in my experience, it's always possible that a mis-match could occur. So, if you like the sound of the pairing at your dealer, make note of that and ask the dealer what else he might suggest to give you the sound you like. Remember the GH's are ultra revealing, so a good quality amp is a must.
I think Lloydlee summed up what else to consider when listening to a preamp. One other thing, which sounds a little obvious but perhaps isn't: The preamp is the 'control center' of your system... You may want to make sure that it can control and hook-up to all the other gear that you plan on using..now and possibly in the near future. As an example of this, the CAT does not have a mono switch, so if you want to listen to a lot of mono LP's, this might be an issue. The CAT is also a single ended device that does not have the ability to output a balanced signal...some people want a balanced connection or require a balanced connection for their amp...again, IMHO, the CAT probably isn't for them. If you are planning a major home theater system, the CAT probably isn't going to do the job.
One other thing, I still think you may want to look at your source component first, before delving too much further into the amp/preamp changes.
imo, the best integrated amp for the g's is the jadis da88s. that is what i run. you have a great ss amp with the old version of the rowland, but you should test drive the jadis. ps, when sf debuted the guarneris over a decade agao, they chose jadis amplification. best wishes,
Hi Keiserrg, I do agree that Jadis makes some great pieces. I was able to hear the Orchestra with the GH's and liked the pairing very much.Not quite enough drive for the speakers, but still a very good sound and very smooth.
A few years ago, I was contemplating getting a Defy 7 Mk1V. Passed on that, and now I use an ARC D70Mk2 with rolled in tubes as my tube amp. The Rowland gives a very different "look" if you will vs. the tube amp. Currently, I am running the Rowland and I feel that the control the ss amp has with the SF's is better than the tube amp. As you know, there are trade-off's in everything in this hobby; the ss amp has slightly more punch and locks in the imaging better than the ARC; the ARC has more ability to portray depth and is better in the top-end air dept. I will try and hear a da88 with the GH's. Although, I must say, I do generally prefer a stand alone preamp and amp setup to the integrated route...Usually due to the fact that most all integrated's that i have heard lack ability in the preamp section. ( Especially compared to my CAT).
BTW, you might want to try some room acoustic treatments in your room, I wasn't a big believer in these either until I put some Real Traps into my system...now I see what all the fuss is about..:0)
Update - A lot happened the past few weeks. For those interested, to start with, on topic of this thread I got a Luxman 509u integrated, which I adore. This amp is clean, clear, powerful, flat, with punch while bringing out the subtlest tonalities and details of instruments across the spectrum.

Taking mainly Daveyf's advice to work on my source and front-end stuff, I started at my computer by adding Amarra software, which I find noticeably better for playback of higher-resolution files, and I upgraded my DAC to a North Star Designs USB Dac32, which I preferred on listening comparisons over the Bryston BDA-1 and new Luxman DA-200. I also replaced all my interconnects with used Cobalt stuff, and speaker wire with German 12 AWG silver wires. In addition, I put-up sound-absorbing curtains over my thin Japanese sliding plexiglass door-walls, and some foam-rubber absorbers on the reflecting wall facing me. All of these tweaks have made significant improvements, and my system sounds great now.

HOWEVERÂ…and this part might make me lose you all as friends, I finally gave-up on the Guarneris. I came to admit to myself that I am just not a small-speaker kind of guy, and much prefer a large sound that reproduces all genres of music well rather than only certain kinds of instruments. I was hit once and for all with this when I happened on a pair of minty condition Acapella Campaniles on special New Year's clearance sale, and traded-in my G's, old Luxman amp, subwoofer, plus some cash for them, in an amazingly lucky bargain.

These are definitely my sound. No more searching. The problem now is there is no room in my old Japanese house with ceilings high enough or enough room for them, so they are in storage while I look for a new house for them. I've been wanting badly to move, and this gives me greater impetus. I know I face a great deal more tweaking when I finally do find a place where I can install them, but I've learned a lot from this forum and look forward to that challenge.

In the meantime, I'm back again to my old Yamaha NS-1000X's, but now with better sources, interconnects, amp, placement, and room treatment, and the sound is all very livable until I finally find a new home for me and my Acapellas.