Integrated amp for my Sonus Faber Guarneri

Need a good advise here since the possibility of listen before i buy is limited. No hard-rock fan, else all kind of music. On my short list at the moment are Pathos (Classic), Sugden, BAT, Creek, Edge, Lavardin, CJ.
eibe
hi DILE,

just bring your own preamp...one that you know well. it is not perfect, but it helps a lot when you at least (in one system) start to delineate what the 2 preamps do in the system in the store. you may also be able to ask the Owner of the store to set up a system based on equipment they have that you may further be familiar with, or equipment that is similar to equipment you know.

good luck.
The Ref 3 is very good and quite a leap forward from the Ref 2 which i have heard before. That said, yes, ARC preamps are generally well regarded but i do not have personal experience with any others besides Ref 2, 3 and the 5. I have owned the CJ pv14l, and now the Act 2. I like them both, and have found the Guarneris to sound very good thru both. I have heard BAT pre (VK51 or something?) on Sonus Faber Amatis...quite crisp. I have heard Audible Illusions pre was quite good, probably similar vintage to the ARC's you mentioned above?

as for 'what to listen for', i would have suggested it is not too different than what to listen for in any component. What happens to the sound when you put your own component into the system?...what changes and do you like those changes? Some people prefer to 'color' their sound a bit using the pre while others prefer to get the pre to be 'straight wire with gain' (ie totally transparent).

As my system has been upgraded, i have found i am trending towards more 'neutral' components that err on the side of natural/warm. hope that helps and enjoy when you get back into listening mode.
Hi Lloydelee - I only have integrated amps right now (Luxman and McIntosh), but I guess I could lug one of those over and just compare the pre-outs, if the shop doesn't have one of the same models. That would be difficult if I take the bullet train to Tokyo or elsewhere, but no problem for testing stuff in the (one) local shop. Thanks for the tip. I should have thought of that!
D.I.L.E. I own a CAT SL1 Sig. This is the first preamp that Ken Stevens starting using the current heavy duty chassis with. I have rolled in tubes into my unit which I think has helped enormously. IMHO, this preamp is still VERY competitive with the best I have heard. If you can get a chance to listen, then i would suggest that you take that opportunity. I do ask that you inquire of the Seller as to how old the tubes are in the unit and if they have been changed out, what is currently being used. ( The choice of tubes can greatly change the character of the SL1, like most preamps that is sometimes NOT for the better). Another thing to consider, what amp you will be using with the preamp you will ultimately end up with? While the CAT works well with most amps in my experience, it's always possible that a mis-match could occur. So, if you like the sound of the pairing at your dealer, make note of that and ask the dealer what else he might suggest to give you the sound you like. Remember the GH's are ultra revealing, so a good quality amp is a must.
I think Lloydlee summed up what else to consider when listening to a preamp. One other thing, which sounds a little obvious but perhaps isn't: The preamp is the 'control center' of your system... You may want to make sure that it can control and hook-up to all the other gear that you plan on using..now and possibly in the near future. As an example of this, the CAT does not have a mono switch, so if you want to listen to a lot of mono LP's, this might be an issue. The CAT is also a single ended device that does not have the ability to output a balanced signal...some people want a balanced connection or require a balanced connection for their amp...again, IMHO, the CAT probably isn't for them. If you are planning a major home theater system, the CAT probably isn't going to do the job.
One other thing, I still think you may want to look at your source component first, before delving too much further into the amp/preamp changes.
imo, the best integrated amp for the g's is the jadis da88s. that is what i run. you have a great ss amp with the old version of the rowland, but you should test drive the jadis. ps, when sf debuted the guarneris over a decade agao, they chose jadis amplification. best wishes,