Bryston 28B SST

For those of you who have heard the new Bryston 28B SSTs - are they as good as the reviews I have read? From reading these reviews I almost get the impression they can drive any speaker from a highly efficient horn to an inefficient planar speaker and sound great. Are they a major leap from the 14B or 7B or just a bit better?
128x128mmarshall
Dev

"but when I read such a statement sounds like they were being choked and there was most definitely something else going on and not the fault of the amps."

Interesting as the dealer said the same thing after returning them.

He was going to check with Bryston to see what the potential cause could be. Maybe a miss match between my zeel and the Bryston.

It's all about synergy.

When I had the Bryston 28B SST sq on loan I did the following.
Had them on 24/7 with an Ipod to get them warmed up for 4 days before any doing any critical listening.
Tried both single ended and xlr inputs using Valhalla.
Power chords used were Bryston's and Synergistics as these were the only cables that I had two of back in March.
Speaker cables were both 2.5 and 1 Meter Valhalla's.

Dart pre, feeding both amps, via Nordost Valhalla.
Source is Verdier, Kuzma, Dynavector for vinyl, AR CD-7.5 and the Studer RTR.

My system would not choke the amps.

Being a Canadian there is nothing that I would rather do than to put money back into our economy.
But if the music is not there, then I will see to it to get the best that I can get regardless of origin.

The list of amps that you have tried are all great amps.
The only amp that I have heard is the MBL. Crazy money, yes but so were my ML 33s.

Dev, I am happy that you like your Brystons.

If you are ever in Vancouver BC send me a message, you are welcome to come by for a listen anytime.

Take care,
Hi Rugyboogie, I have read a few of your threads in the past and you have some very nice pces but what you wrote;

"not very open nor did I find them dynamic"

just doesn't add up and that's why I addressed such as you know allot of others will be reading. Your follow up info. you just provided all I can think of is the Dart pre. being a mismatch.

We all have our own opinions and that's fine, that's all they are but you are exsperienced so you should have tried to find out what was going on, in the end if you didn't like them well that's okay to.

Something was choking them!, either your Dart, cables, power source I don't know I wasn't there.

You have MAXX2's and I have MBL 101e's and from my exspearience I would say yours are easier to drive so why am I not having any of those issues you made reference too nor are others I know driving different speakers for example; Bryceeboy set-up with Soundlab A-1's?

09-26-10: Bryceeboy
The first time I ever got what the SET group was raving about was when I inserted the 28B Squared into my system. I am a tube guy through and through but when I placed these in my system nothing had come close in the past. I own Soundlab A-1's which are a bear to drive but these things can make them growl or purr like a kitty. Great amps IMHO! Good luck.

Rugyboogie Thanks for the invite, would enjoy meeting hearing your set-up.

P.S. I also owned ML 33s.
How does the 28B SST stand up to low impedances?? Bryston clearly lists the power output of the 7B SST at 4 ohms. But, it is a glaring omission when it fails to mention the 4 ohm rating for the 28B SST. Bryston mentions that the 28B SST is a bridged design. To me that is a red flag to be wary of its performance at low impedances. I have a set of Infinity Kappa 9's that dip to one ohm, I'd like to see the 28B SST take a stab at them.
Hi Mitch4t, get a pair and try and let us know. I recall seeing your similar question somewhere else sometime ago.
The review in the link below from a review in stereophile magazine addresses the low impedance issue. The review may answer the questions why some users above thought the 28B SST was lacking in dynamics. If you have speakers that go to 4 ohms or below, the 28B SST may not be a good match.

http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/108bry/