Amps and integrateds w/ similar sonic sig to MC275

Hi folks,

I've been out of the audio realm for a while, but I now want to put together a small system with good performance. I have had a lot of experience listening and owning some good gear, so I am not a beginner.

As far as amps goes, I've owned SS (Pass Labs) and tubes (McIntosh), and in my last nice system I had the MC275 (production model after the Gow version, but before the version with the modern speaker terminals) running. I probably never should have sold it... I really enjoyed the sound; engaging and lively, with some base slam when needed. Overall, it was all the amp I needed, and probably could be again, but I'll need to buy another one.

Since I do need to buy an amp, I feel I should do a reasonable search before I get the MC275 again... I like to know that I have evaluated all my reasonable options...

The first question is what amps would you recommend as a sonic twin to the MC275?

Because I was thinking a small system, I was thinking possibly of an integrated instead. Can anyone recommend any integrated amps that have a similar sonic signature to the MC275? I will probably be buying used, and probably don't want to go over the price of an MC275 used unless there is a real compelling reason (at that point, I'd probably go for the MC275 again).

I don't have a speaker selected yet, but will be looking at the Totems, Sonus Faber, and similar. Not big floorstanders, but probably not the bookshelf versions.

Thanks. If I need to provide any more information, let me know...

---Michael
Ag insider logo xs@2xmjm6
Thanks you two...

I first got an Aleph 3 years ago before it was declared a 'giant killer' because I loved the sound (the most tube-like that I had heard from a SS amp). I added an X-150 in another system and still was very pleased...

Lost most of that in a divorce, along with my Hales Concept 3's, Sonic Frontiers pre, and EAD transport and DAC (the wife liked audio as well...), ugh.

Pass Labs is certainly where I would consider if I don't go the tubes route.

---Michael
If you loved the Aleph, you really appreciate the improved bass performance you'll get with XAs, especially with "difficult" speaker loads - first rate gear, but not tubes:)
Pubul57,

No, they aren't but they were the nicest I sounding SS amps I could afford at the time!

The Pass gear is very fine, but I do prefer the sound of a good tube amplifier.

I'll have to do some listening of the Pass gear if there is a dealer nearby.

Do you have a recommendation for a tube amplifier I should consider?

---Michael
Music Reference RM200 - it was actually reviewed in December's Stereophile by Fremer I think. I've owned the RM9 Special Edition and use the RM10 MKII in the summer months. Have not heard the RM200s in my system but can't imagine Modjeski creating anything but a great sounding amp - and I expect it can handle difficult loads (for a tube amp). I would also consider anything with appropriate power from Quicksilver (bot they only come as mono blocks). Both US made, point-to-point wiring, and very reliable.