Why does most new music suck?

Ok I will have some exclusions to my statement. I'm not talking about classical or jazz. My comment is mostly pointed to rock and pop releases. Don't even get me started on rap.... I don't consider it music. I will admit that I'm an old foggy but come on, where are some talented new groups? I grew up with the Beatles, Who, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix etc. I sample a lot of new music and the recordings are terrible. The engineers should be fired for producing over compressed shrill garbage. The talent seems to be lost or doesn't exist. I have turned to some folk/country or blues music. It really is a sad state of affairs....Oh my god, I'm turning into my parents.
goose
"Why does most new music suck"; IOW, why does most new ROCK AND POP suck?"

Regarding "rock", that genre, in its purest form has past its prime and is clearly on the decline in terms of popularity.

Pop is where it becomes more interesting in that pop is a more open book. WHat is popular changes over time. Plus the trend is towards more globalization of pop culture along with all the rest of modern civilization. That is where things get interesting.....more diversity from more cultures around the world get thrown in the pot.

This is why an open mind is important. Music has always evolved and always will. Rock was an evolution of "rock and roll", in its original form mostly about electric guitars and percussion, but much evolved in many directions since. So rock at its core is still mostly about guitars and percussion. There is plenty of that still being created, but its a limited form in its purest sense, so fresh new material that matches the "classics" becomes harder to find.

It'll always be a tough job comparing current music to classics.

Classics are classics for a reason...they've stood the test of time and achieved widespread "pop"ularity.

NEw "pop"ular tunes will either retain and grow in popularity over time or be mostly forgotten.

A lot of good music of all genres will NEVER be or become polular on a large scale, but this area is typically where the riches lie.

But of course, mining for gold is never an easy task, it takes patience and perseverance, and dare I say an open mind towards trying the next thing that presents itself that has some promise.
Goose,

If you look at the Radio Paradise listener ratings, I think you'd find a correlation between older tunes (ie those regarded by the programmers as "classic" to some extent) and the highest scores in that they have withstood the test of time. Most older tunes that retain airtime score very high, but newer tunes do also but to a lesser extent. As time mvoes on, I think one would find this trend continues, and the more recent tunes that retain airtime will continue to rise in overall rating. New or newer tunes will still garner more of a mixed reaction, but tunes that persist on the playlist will probably improve their scores as well over time, not decrease. We'll see...
The Frogman:

Great post. That Mr Charzo is a ray of sunshine, ain't he? You took the words out of my mouth concerning the lack of logic in Mr Charzo's post. I think in his enthusiastic rush to attack me, he became confused. It seems as if he thought I was the OP.

Even though it seems as if he is in agreement with the OP. I guess he agrees with the OP, if he ain't me.

When I came on this site a few years ago , and after making a few comments, I was warned/advised, that it was not what I said, that got people upset, but how I said it. That if I wanted to 'get along' on this site I had to change my 'tone'.

I didn't understand at that time, but have since come to understand the tenor of this place. That's why I seldom venture out into the General population.

Some of these people just cannot stand the pressures of living in a democracy. Everyone claims to be 'open minded', but actually it's a very closed minded place.

Marching to a different drummer is not authorized.

Cheers.
Charzo:
I do apologize for having the temerity to discuss music on an audio site.

Let me hasten back to the saftey of O-10's Jazz thread.

Cheers