Repair a Sony SCD 777ES?

My 12 year old Sony SCD-777ES stopped working today. After the disc is inserted and the cover closes it makes some unhappy grinding and clanking noises as it attempts to spin the disk. It also switches automatically to SACD mode even with a redbook cd, but never starts to actually play the disc.

Can these old Sony's be repaired? It is a decent player and an excellent transport for my dac, I hate to just junk it! Any recommendations on the best way to get it repaired?
stickman451
Check with Sony in Laredo, Texas. They are out of some of the parts for this player because the parts are no longer manufactured.
Junk it! It needs serious restoration apart from the immediate issue. Not worth the money.
I would look for a Sony repair facility. They will do a great job of returning your CD player to factory specs. Providing they have the parts, as Stereo5 mentioned.
I have read plenty of negative stories about the current situation with Sony repair.
It is totally outsourced now. And not very good either from reports.
My own Sony repair horror story was rather negative too. So i just accept they suck.