HYPEX,PASCAL OR ABLETEC

Knowing about the many apparently very good class D amps on the market right now and even though I'm very satisfied with my current ClassD Audio SDS-440CS amp, I'm seriously considering purchasing one of these amps to try out in my system. My thinking is that, if I do like the amp in my system, I can just use my current amp to replace an older Adcom GFA-545 that currently powers my Magnepan CC3 center channel and my unamplified (passive)sub for ht purposes. I would then always be able to choose which amp I used for my 2 ch music and which amp I used for ht(cc and sub).

Well, I should get to my point:

I'm using an Oppo105 as the master source in my streamlined A/V living room system used 40% for 2-ch music and 60% for ht. For 2-ch listening, I stream my cd collection and hi-res Flac files from a Synology NAS in another room to the Oppo. The Oppo acts as a stand alone dac and sends the analog output via xlr cables to my class D amp (440 w/ch@4ohms) which powers my Magnepan 2.7qr speakers. For ht, I use the Oppo for decoding surround sound from Netflix, Directv and bluray discs. Two class A/B amps power the Oppo's ht audio outputs to my Magnepan CC3 center channel, LFE sub and in-ceiling rear surround channels.
I've narrowed my new amp choices down to the following four listed below. I'm requesting feedback on any or all of these 4 amp options, especially from anyone who has used 1 or more in their system. My budget is $2,000 to $2,500 and my room is 18ft x 13ft with 8ft ceilings. Here are my options:

Option#1 Hypex Ncore nc400 based amp builds from James Romeyn in Utah. A stereo, dual-mono build is $1,500 total and is rated at 400 watts @ 4 ohms. It includes 2 Hypex nc400 power modules both powered by 1 nc12000 smps mounted in a generic case with a black or silver aluminum faceplate with both se and xlr inputs. A pair of mono-blocks built runs a bit under $2,000/pr. total and consists of a nc400 power module mated to a nc600 smps in each 'NCORE' labeled black case with both se and xlr inputs.

Option#2 Pascal amp build from Aluminati Sound in Ohio. This is a stereo build only that will use a new stereo board from Pascal in Denmark, called the SPRO-2, that has a smps incorporated on the board. Power output is rated at 500 watts/ch @ 4 ohms. Forecasted price is about $2,000 but may run a bit higher. Pascal modules are used in the new JRRG Continuum 2 integrated amp that has received very positive sq reviews. Alumnati is owned by 2 former CNC machinists/fabricators. Their main advantage is their case work. One of the Aluminati owners, Matt Kraemer, told me the new stereo Pascal amp is tentatively named the "X-1" and should be available for order by approx. mid July. He said the stereo case will be milled from a single large aluminum block. The finished case will have an anodized finish (think JRRG cases but milled as 1 solid piece instead of multiple anodized face panels attached to a chassis underneath. The aluminum case will have a blue power/status light mounted underneath projecting downward.

Option#3- Abletec amp modules in the DSonic M3-600M mono-blocks. I'm not certain which Abletec modules are used in these amps but the price is $1,950/pr. and power output is 600 watts/ch @ 4 ohms in black cases with a blue power/status light with both se and xlr inputs. The Abletec modules have built-in smps just like the Pascal modules. According to DSonic's owner, Dennis Deacon, the 600Ms and their top-of-the-line 1500Ms have similar sound characteristics, even though the 1500Ms use Pascal modules(likely either a MPro or XPro module).

Option#4- Identical ClassD Audio SDS-440CS amp to replace my older class A/B amp that powers my center ch and sub. This option is least attractive to me since it would mean my music amplification would remain the same and I wouldn't be auditioning any of the newer class D amp modules. If I liked option 1,2 or 3 above better for music playback, I would simply move my existing CDA music amp over to center and sub duties anyways. The only benefit of option #4 is that it's the least expensive at $630.

I've ruled out some amps, like the Wyred4Sound and Red Dragon offerings, because they use the older Ice ucd power modules typically considered sonically inferior to the newer Hypex Ncore, Pascal and Abletec power modules. Any comments comparing the sq of these options is greatly appreciated, especially if you've owned or listened to some of these. I do understand that there is more involved with how various class D amps sound than just the power modules utilized, such as high quality components and custom input stages.

I should also say, just like Audiozen, I have never actually heard a Hypex, Pascal or Abletec powered amp. I'm just curious and base my optimism on the positive reports from owners, listeners and professional reviewers. If I had a larger $10k plus budget, I'd likely just buy a completed amp based on the Hypex Ncore nc1200 power modules, such as Merrill, upcoming Mola-Mola or Acoustic Imagery.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts, comments and suggestions. Please feel free to suggest other reasonably priced class D amps I may have omitted.

Thank you,
Tim

Much like Audiozen, I am basing
128x128noble100

Showing 31 responses by sebollo001

Tim,

My recommendation is that you enjoy your new Abletec amplifiers, and try to wait at least till the next generation of Pascal, Anaview, Hypex, B&O, etc technology.

I have been using a pair of M3-600M-A amps in my system for the last 10 days, and feel completely satisfied with their performance.

For your setup, keep in mind that the Abletec/Anaview modules have low input impedance, and Dennis does not add any input buffer to the M3-600 series (he does with the M3-1500 with Pascal modules).

I'm using a Benchmark DAC2 as preamp, which has very low output impedance, and the Anaview modules sound fantastic.

Cheers,
Sebastian
Tim, one more comment.

I see that you are using a OPPO 105 as DAC + Volume Control entering directly to your amp.

My first listening session of the Anaview monoblocks was at a store, as I wanted to try them with some speakers I plan to buy sometime in the near future.

The system consisted in a OPPO 105 DAC (I used an USB drive with several FLAC files for testing purposes), a McIntosh C2300 preamp, McIntosh MC601 monoblocks, and B&W 802D Speakers.

We switched amplifiers back and forth, and the Anaviews provided a notably better bass performance than the MC601s.

Mids and highs were hard to distinguish between both amplifiers, but I think that the OPPO 105 was the bottleneck here, specially in the treble performance which I did not like with either amplifier, even considering that the room was properly treated.

When I installed the Anaviews at home with the Benchmark DAC2, I was glad to verify that the highs were very detailed and refined, no harsh at all!

Cheers,
Sebastian
Jtsnead, do you know what Pascal module is installed into the M3-800Ms? You can probably check in the PCB through the top cover holes using a flashlight so you don't need to open the units.
I suspect they are what Matt Kraemer is using in the Iluminati X2s, in BTL configuration. I almost bought this amplifier but finally went for the AMS1000-2600 in the M3-600M-A.
Tim,

Let me clarify my previous comments regarding the OPPO 105 and my first listening session with the M3-600M-As.

- I preferred the Anaview modules bass performance. This was very noticeable, bass was deeper and with more impact than with the MC601s, but still keeping a very natural presentation.

- I was not able to distinguish or prefer mids and highs frequencies performances between both amplifiers.

- Mids were EXCELLENT with both units, I really liked the presentation very much with all the test music I played.

- High frequencies were "hotter" than what I'm used to. No big problem with very good recordings, but no forgiveness at all. I listened to the system for more than an hour and it was far for unbearable, but I clearly prefer a smoother presentation, without sacrificing detail (who doesn't? hehe).

- Having heard the B&W 802Ds with Accuphase amplification I know the diamond tweeter capabilities and I don't consider it a possible cause of harshness.

- This leaves the C2300 Preamp, OPPO 105, interconnects, speaker cables and a little bit exaggerated toe-in, as possible causes of the less-than-stellar treble performance. My first suspicion was on the OPPO, but I just can be wrong.

I don't think you will have any impedance mismatch problem between the OPPO and the D-Sonics. My benchmark DAC 2 is configured with 20 dB attenuation pads in the balanced outputs, with 135 Ohms impedance and sounds fantastic with the new amplifiers.

Hope it helps...
Sebastian
Jtsnead,

Srajan Ebaen, for 6moons, made a comparison between the M-Pro2 Gato Audio DIA-400 (Pascal M-PRO2) and DIA-250 (Pascal S-PRO2) integrated amps:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/gato3/1.html

I think Dennis Deacon uses the M-PRO2 in 2 CH mode for the M3-800S.

Jeff Rowland also uses the M-PRO2 module in 2 CH configuration in the Continuum S2.

I asked Matt Kraemer (Aluminati Sound) if he tested both M-PRO2 and S-PRO2 modules, here's his answer:

"Pascal sent us the S-PRO2 and M-PRO2 for sampling and testing. We couldn't tell a difference between the two other than a high volume range with the higher wattage M series board.
The X2 is best suited with the S-PRO2 board and will match very well with your 805s speakers. It offers higher clarity, image detailing and dynamics over the NC400 board".

Interesting his comment comparing the Pascal with he Hypex DIY NC400 module.
Kuribo,

FYI Matt Kraemer from Aluminati has been selling amplifiers using NC400 modules for the last year, at least. As he can't buy them as OEM, he request the buyers to order and ship the modules to him.

I can understand that Matt probably has a commercial interest/preference in using Pascal OEM modules, BUT I'm sure he's also wise enough to have performed the correct comparisons and determined that the performance of his amplifiers will not be degraded using the Pascal technology.

On the other hand, the DIY community can obtain the NC400 and all the (vey good) documentation to assemble an amplifier easily. This is not the case if they want to test Anaview or Pascal amplifiers, as they are strictly for OEMs. Furthermore, the documentation is sometimes not very good for unexperienced users. In many cases I read users complaining aobut humm, noise, unbalanced gains between channels, or simply bad sound performance. You may know that the Anaview/Abletec modules need to be matched carefully if no input buffer is installed.
Maybe in the cases you read, most probably the NC400 had been compared with a non optimal Pascal or Anaview implementation.
The Anaview AMS1000-2600 is the newest module hitting the High End class D group. There has been some talk about it in the German forums. Many experienced users have been impressed by its incredible dynamics, describing it as mercilessly FAST. mercilessly HONEST. I totally agree with these findings. This is fantastic as it leaves the rest of the chain for tuning or coloring the sound you like.
Kuribo,

I'm a bit confused about your comments.

First, you say Matt Kraemer's comparisons between Pascal and Hypex are not reliable since he is a seller and supposedly he will speak better on the product he's currently offering (Pascal).

BUT, you are considering Dennis Deacon (D-sonic) seller, and Anaview USA Product Manager opinions as reliable when you talk about comparing the old Abletec ALC1000 vs the new Anaview AMS1000 modules.

This reasoning just doesn't make too much sense to me, but there's more:

If you believe that the old Abletec ALC1000 and the new AMS1000 modules have the same or very similar performance, why did you strongly encouraged user Noble100 (Tim) to return or sell his new ALC1000 and get the brand new AMS1000? Again, I see a big contradiction in you communication.

I have to admit than I never compared the Pascal, Abletec, Anaview and Hypex NC400 modules between each other myself. I was able to compare the AMS1000-2600 in D-SONIC M3-600M-A against my old amplifier, an ATI AT1200, and the performance increase was huge, in every respect, IN MY SPECIFIC SYSTEM.
Also, at a store, I compared the AMS1000-2600 modules against a pair of MaIntosh MC601 monobloks, and the Anaview modules were clearly superior in bass performance, and at least equaling the virtues of the huge MC601 monoblocks in other respects.
In the german forums there are several comparisons between the AMS1000-2600 and the Hypex NC400 modules. One very experienced user clearly prefered the Anaview modules in his "high power" inefficient playback chain, praising its dynamics and excellent control over the big speakers. This same user preferred the Hypex NC400 for his other highly efficient small system which he uses for listening at lower levels, and relax after work.
You may find interesting to read what the somewhat famous sound engineer "audiovisjion", who also builds Hypex amps, thinks of the newest Class D power modules, specifically the newest Anaview AMS technology. See Post 2591:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/851143-high-end-nearfield-test-87.html
Yes Kuribo, I assume you're smart enough to understand the context of all the information provided in this forum.
In any case, this professional sound engineer tested both NC400 and Anaview amplifiers with the very low efficiency Amphion One 18, and he clearly preferred the Anaview AMS technology.
It is clear that no one will be able to test or compare both amplifiers with every speaker in the world ever made, is that what you are expecting? jeje
I just posted this information for everyone to have a better knowledge of the latest developments of class D amplifiers.
You should understand that very possibly, one module will perform better with some speakers and certain playback chain, while it may not have the same performance if you change something.
You like to speak in absolute terms, and also ask questions that seem to oversimplify the comparisons between modules.

Yes Kuribo, I assume you're smart enough to understand the context of all the information provided in this forum.
In any case, this professional sound engineer tested both NC400 and Anaview amplifiers with the very low efficiency Amphion One 18, and he clearly preferred the Anaview AMS technology.
It is clear that no one will be able to test or compare both amplifiers with every speaker in the world ever made, is that what you are expecting? jeje
I just posted this information for everyone to have a better knowledge of the latest developments of class D amplifiers.
You should understand that very possibly, one module will perform better with some speakers and certain playback chain, while it may not have the same performance if you change something.
You like to speak in absolute terms, and also ask questions that seem to oversimplify the comparisons between modules.

Kuribo,

Unfortunately there's not much information about the performance of these new modules.

But I don't think the information I provided is invalid. In fact, the comparison was performed by a serious sound engineer, who has tons of experience with different amplifiers and sound systems.

In fact, this information, as well as what's been posted in the German DIY forum, seems to be rather precise, as all the users have excellent reputation testing and comparing amplifiers.

The Anaview AMS1000-2600, with the latest AMS control technology, is rather new and not many systems have been using these modules.

However, it has been objectively compared three times against the Hypex NC400. In the three occasions the Anaview AMS has outperformed the NC400.

There's a group of DIYes buying a batch of AMS amplifiers, we will probably get new opinions soon.

In my own experience, currently the AMS1000-2600 is the amplifier to beat at a reasonable price.

BTW do you happen to own any class D amplifier?
Tobeornottobe, I have a pair of the M2-600M-A (which is the same amplifier module than the ones used in the M2-1200S-A), and they are auto-range, working within 110-240 V. No conversion or customization is needed from D-Sonic.
Kuribo,

I’m afraid that the information you are providing is not correct. Patrick Bostrom (founder and lead Engineer of Anaview) has already explained that the new AMS modules have notably better performance than the old ALC ones. Specifically, the Adaptive Modulation Servo technology delivers a more refined treble with less THD.

Dennis Deacon from D-Sonic also explained that the AMS modules sound better that the ALC in his system.

The Europeans DIYers also found the new AMS1000-2600 better than the old ALC1000-1300, most notably in the treble performance. Both modules are super dynamic, but the AMS has a more organic sound that can be listened for hours without fatigue.

When compared against the Hypex NC400, the AMS1000-2600 comes on top. Three highly regarded members of the German DIYforum, and a professional sound engineer all agree with this. Up to know, not a single person who has compared the NC400 vs the AMS1000-2600 has preferred the Hypex module. In several different systems with different speakers etc, the AMS technology outperformed the Hypex NC400. You may think that based on simple specs the NC400 should sound better, but real life test have shown this is not the case.

You should understand that the NC400 and NC1200 modules are in a completely different performance league. Yes, you can check the similar specs. Yes, Mr. Bruno commented they are just different in the power capabilities. BUT THEY DON’T SOUND THE SAME IN REAL LIFE. Highly respected members in this forum have already checked this point and all agree NC1200 >>> NC400. So when you talk about Hypex, please take care of specifying the power module you want to talk about.

This is my personal take on the current class D high end options:
- The absolute performance leader seems to be the Hypex NC1200. However to this day no one has compared it to the most powerful Pascal and Anaview modules. Also, its price/performance ratio seems to be very low (compared to the other high end class D offerings)
- The price/performance leaders are the newest Pascal and Anaview modules. Here, Hypex is playing catch up, but starting to offer a customized version of Ncore to the OEMs which supposedly will have better dynamics and power capabilities. Merril and NAD will be the first adopters of these customizations.
- The Hypex NC400 was never a top performer, but used to be the best price/performance option for DIY. It has now been proved that better modules can be had for less money that simply perform better.

BTW, if you only base your opinion in technical specifications, you may find interesting to know that the Hypex Ncore is not the leader. At least the new Benchmark AHB2 has clearly better specs, within its power range.
Guido,

You quoted only a part of my comment. I was talking about the price/performance offerings from each manufacturer. Up to very recently, Hypex only had the UcD modules for "mid Tier" OEM designs.
But several brands from the states as well as overseas (Jeff Rowland, D-Sonic, TEAC, Matt Kraemer, Amphion) were choosing Pascal and Anaview over Hypex UcD.
Now, Hypex decided to be more competitive in that segment, offering OEMs customizations of their Ncore modules at a more competitive price than their NC1200 flagship.
I will go further than your last statement, saying we don't listen to amps, we listen the complete chain, from record to the listening room!
But I still consider useful to somehow break the chain into pieces, for comparison and analysis, obviously paying much attention to the context where the comparisons are made.
We are speaking in relative terms here. I can say that my amplifier with Anaview modules sounds fantastic when using a Benchmark DAC2 as pre amplifier (low output impedance), and B&W 805, 802, or Dynaudio Confidence C2 speakers.
I suspect it would not sound so good if I connect a high output impedance tube preamplifier. In that case, an input buffer may be necessary. Some designers already build it with the amp, like W4S.
Sebastian
Agree with Guido... get a confirmation from Dennis just to rest assured, it's just an email anyway.
From a technical point of view I can confirm that the amplifier is autorange since I have the module datasheet, and have an email from Dennis confirming this when I ordered my amp!
Cheers,
Sebastian
Guido,

As Jeff Rowland, there are a couple of other manufacturers who have stated they are not tied to any topology and any power module brand. Amphion is one of them, D-sonic (only class D) and Matt Kraemer (only class D) are others.
Good times for us consumers, I suppose.
It seems that all the newest Class D power modules have in common a very advanced control loop (feedback error correction) and a very studied component layout to minimize EMI/RFI.
Call them AMS, Ncore, UcD, UMAC, etc, all technologies employ a high order control loop that includes the speaker load into the feedback error control to keep THD as low as possible. As a consequence of the high unmount of feedback required to accomplish this, the output resistance of the modules is extremely low (and dumping factor high).
For some time I've been wondering if this approach could be applied to other topologies. Classic class A / AB designers don't seem to treat feedback as a valuable resource for bettering amplifiers THD performance.
However, Benchmark Media is now selling a new amplifier called AHB2 that employs several THX patents, some of which are about feedback and error control. As the newest class D power modules, this amplifier has extremely low THD and high dynamic range, it even beats the best class D specs currently available.
It also uses a switching power supply, which IMO is another sign of using "non traditional" design resources to enhance the performance of the classic topologies.
So what do you think? Now that Class D has advanced to a level that can compete spec wise with all other topologies, will classic class A/AB manufacturers "enhance" their designs using all modern and non traditional technologies to bring them to the next performance level?
You're very welcome Mikela! I'd love to hear your experience once you setup the new multichannel system using Pascal and Anaview amplifier modules.
Sebastian
Murphy,
Are you looking for a new amp and can't decide between AMS or Ncore? What's your preamp and output impedance? What speakers are you using?
Sebastian
Murphythecat,

Thanks for the information of the German forum. But, keep in mind THE USER DID NOT COMPARE AMS MODULES AT ALL. He used an older technology (ALC).

Also, as I asked you previously, he doesn't seem to specify the preamp he used to drive the amplifiers. This is critical with Abletec/Anaview modules.

Unless you build an input buffer for the Anaview, they will only work correctly with very low output impedance amplifiers (up to 300 Ohms aprox).

I would not use that specific german review as a reference to AMS performance.

Best,
Sebastian
Murphythecat,

Again... what's your preamp and its output impedance?

Reading several forums threads I could gather the following information that may be of interest to you:

1- Head of Anaview and lead engineer Patrik Bostrom, used Amphion speakers during the development, optimization and testing of the new AMS100 and AMS1000 amplifiers.

2- Anssi Hyvönen, head of Amphion, explained they have been scouting the D class amps for 5 years now in order to know which works and which does not. Making a good reliable, D class amp module requires major investment. Hence there are only a limited number of manufacturers in the world. He has tried to get his hands on all the standard modules available -

Quote from Anssi Hyvönen:
"I have not found anything that I could recommend to be used with our products as a full range solution. The amps have been getting better with every new generation, but have not been fully there yet. Nothing before Anaview came along. When it comes to amps suitable for pro use Anaview's latest generation AMS module is the best D class amp I have come across.
But when something with better price / performance ratio, which is even more suitable for our speakers comes along you can bet it that our little amp boxes will house those modules."

3- GearSlutz member Audiovisjon (famous sound engineer) has tested both Hypex NC400 and Anaview AMS power amps with some of the many monitors he reviewed lately (Including Amphion One 18).

Quote form Audiovisjon: "Though I build the hypex Ncore amps in Norway I have to admit the Anaview´s modules from Amphion is a better match. They somehow bring out a level of resolution and focus that is even more impressive. I would not hesitate to use any of the two though."

4- Reviewer Srajan Ebaen from SixMoons is about to review the new Amphion AMS100 and AMS500 amplifiers, check here:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/amphion/7.html

5- In the US market, only D-Sonic is currently building amplifiers based in Anaview AMS technology. Specifically, it uses the AMS1000-2600 module in BTL mode (the same that Amphion uses in the AMS500 amp in 2 CH mode).

6- I don't know about Amphion AMS100 and 500 designs, but D-Sonic does not include an input buffer in front of the AMS power module. This requires carefull matching with the preamp, and that's the reason for my first question to you.

Sebastian
Since Murphythecat has the Amphion One 18 Speakers, it makes a lot of sense for him to try an Anaview AMS amplifier, which has been optimized for his speakers and beats the NC400 in this setup.

Other users also have reported that AMS1000 performance beats the NC400. Nobody that has compared both modules has preferred the NC400. Of course, we have to consider the context of every test and comparison. Every system and playback chain is different. But we have to accept that reviews performed by experienced members are valuable, and right now, the AMS module is "statistically" preferred over the NC400.

Kuribo, since you are very strict about specifications and don't seem to trust other opinions, I think it would be great if you had first hand experience with both NC400 and AMS technologies at the same time, and contribute to the forum with your review and comparison.

To the rest of the audiogon members, I can confirm that AMS technology is a really serious and excellent performer. I did not compare it head to head with NC400, because I understood from the specifications that the power capabilities of the AMS1000 module (in my case 2 x AMS1000 in BTL mode) and dynamic headroom are superior to the Ncore NC400. I considered the NC1200 against the AMS1000, but the price/performance ratio of the Ncore is not attractive, IMO. I also read several member reviews in other forums, to have an idea of the treble and general performance with several speakers of the new AMS technology, before finally making my decision.

As a first hand experience contribution to this forum, I tested the AMS1000-2600 in my system as well as Hi-Fi store. I was able to compare it against an ATI AT1202 and McIntosh MC601 amplifiers, using several preamps and speakers (B&W 805S, 804D, 803D and 802D, Dynaudio Confidence C2). I can say that the D-Sonic M3-600M-A, made of AMS1000-2600 modules was clearly the best performer, in those systems with those components.

The AMS module has better power characteristics and is more comparable to the NC1200 than to the NC400.
There is a DIY group buy of AMS1000 amplifiers going on, and there will be new comparisons very soon.
But, as far as Amphion and Anaview matching, we already have a clear leader.
Sebastian
Some Pascal news for you...

Raidho amplifier - The Aavik Acoustics U-300 integrated amplifier [€24'000] from the Raidho team combines a 24/192 DAC with 2 each Toslink, coax and USB inputs with adjustable phono and three line-level inputs; 3/6/12dB adjustable gain assignable to each line input; and class D Pascal power modules for 300/600wpc into 8/4 ohms said to be unconditionally stable into lower impedances.

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2014/11/aavik-acoustics-u-300-unity-amplifier.html

Cheers,
Sebastian
Hi Dennis,

My comment was based on the input impedance specification of the AMS1000-2600. In the manual,for balanced inputs, the input impedance varies between 1,37 and 14,5 Kohms.

The manual also explains that the input impedance is asymmetrical between channels, but that does not apply to your design, as you use BTL mode.

My understanding it that if the amp is used with a typical vacuum tube preamplifier which has high output impedance, the result can be premature LF roll-off and increased distortion.

I will clarify, however, that is not based on my own experience. It is based on the classical recommendation that the amp input impedance should be at least 10 times higher than the preamp output impedance.

I will also say that, in my case, I specifically chose your amp because it did not have an input buffer. My preamp (Benchmark DAC2) has very low output impedance and I am using short interconnects. I prefer, if possible, to avoid any extra circuit that can add signal distortion, and an input buffer is unnecessary in this case.

I am extremely happy with the D-Sonics M3-600M-A in my setup. Will probably stay there for a long time. Maybe in the future I will try them with a high output impedance tube preamp and post my first hand experience.

Greetings,
Sebastian
Wise words Guido.

D-sonic Dennis is a very kind person who always answers any questions about his designs.

I think I sent him at least ten emails with questions to him before ordering my M3-600M-As.

Input impedance? Auto-range mains? Differences against previous ALC1000-1300 module? How internal cabling is run? Differences against Pascal? Comparison against class AB amps in same price range? EMI/RFI shielding? etc etc etc

My experience has been very positive, and these amps sound simply fantastic.
Tobeornottobe, what are your power needs?

Have you considered the Aluminati X2 amplifier? It's not as powerful as the M2-1200S-A, but the Pascal module is also excellent with the latest class D technology, and auto-range 100-240 V.
The advantage I see in the X2 is the case design, which is nothing short of spectacular (like a small Jeff Rowland!), and dimensions are compact, giving it high portability.
Finally, it's price started at $2500 and is now on sale at $1500, which I consider very good value for the case and module included.
Input impedance? 1.37 to 14.5 KOhms.
Differences against previous ALC1000-1300 module? According to Dennis, depending on source material, in his system, the new modules sounded equal or better than the previous generation.
How internal cabling is run? Straight, not twisted.
Differences against Pascal? Basically, power capabilities is the most important difference. Regarding sound, both of the technologies Dennis use offer an organic, natural quality to the high frequency range.
Comparison against class AB amps in same price range? Dennis said the M3-600M-A pair is superior to the Parasound A21 in every way, near the sound quality of the top of the line Brystons.
I was able to compare the M3-600M-A against a pair of McIntosh MC601 monoblocks, on B&W802Ds speakers. The D-Sonics were superior in the bass performance, while the rest of the spectrum was similar.
Hope it helps...
Tobeornottobe, look at the review of the Gato Audio DIA-250 integrated amplifier:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/gato3/6.html

It uses a modified Pascal SPRO Module, similar to the one included in the Aluminati X2.

I think this amplifier should drive your speakers perfectly, and you always have the option to buy a second one in the future and use them in BTL mode.

The M3-1200M-A, however, will possibly have more dynamic headroom when driven to the extreme.
Jtsnead,

I would like to hear your comments about the low volume listening detail with your M3-800M amps (Pascal M-PRO2).

I read two reviews about two different amplifiers using this M-PRO2 module.

Both agree to say that the sound signature is on the warm side, and one of the reviewers added that the amplifier needs increased SPLs to get the best detail retrieval.

A third review on a Pascal design, but on the bigger X-PRO1, also finds its only weak point to be a bit "overly analog", again on the warm side.

Finally, there's a fourth review of a Pascal module, this time the smaller S-PRO2, which has less power capability than the other Pascal offerings but the sound signature is more neutral, allowing better low level detail retrieval.

I think it all depends on ones listening habits, but anyhow it is really interesting to know these differences to do the right choice.

BTW, you may find interesting the following assessment from a very experienced reviewer (who tested all following amps). This would be the "warm" to "detailed" current class D scale, according to 6moons owner Srajan Ebaen:

Pascal (Gato D-250) -> ICEPower (mAmp) -> Hypex UcD (Auralic, Roksan) -> Hypex nCore (Merril Veritas) -> Anaview AMS (Amphion AMS100)
Planckscale & Ricred1, congratulations and I hope you enjoy the new amps as much as I´m enjoying mines.

Please report back! I would like to hear your first day experience, and the evolution after 300 hours.

I think you will notice an instantaneous upgrade in bass and dynamics qualities. In my experience, the mids and highs start very good but further improve over time.

Another thing I noticed is that the amplifiers require at least 10 minutes of operation to "stabilize" their bass performance. Anyway, as they only consume 17 Watts (each) I always leave them on.

First, I did not believe in break in. However after testing again with my old amp as reference, I could verify that the performance "gap" between them had changed, and widened in favor of the D-Sonics.
Douglas,

I have a pair of D-Sonic M3-600M-A monoblocks, using the Anaview AMS1000-2600 power modules.

As I stated several times in this thread, I'm delighted with the sound quality of these amps.

I have not compared them directly with the Ncore 400, but with other well regarded amplifiers like the McIntosh MC601 monoblocks and Peachtree 220SE, and the D-Sonics never disappointed.

If you are going the DIY route, ProfusionPLC sells the AMS1000 modules as well as the wiring/connector kits. As the Anaview designs include the power suppply in the same PCB, assembling the box is a rather easy task.

You can find more information in the diyaudio site.

Also, depending on your power demands, you may also be interested in the smaller and cheaper AMS100, which also has very good specs. Several users have built mono amps with these modules in BTL configuration and are extremely happy.
Hi All,

Just read these comments from Tim, and thought I may also provide an update with my experience.

I bought the D-Sonic M3-600M-A (pair) using Anaview AMS1000-2600 modules, back in October 2014.

Having heard many systems with excellent components, including very high end amplifiers, I found quite a strong performance and value in my D-Sonics. 

Micro/macro dynamics, resolution, soundstage, tonal accuracy, are all at the top of the scale. But more important, there is a fluidity, an easefulness in the presentation as a whole, I only experienced in very high end systems.

For reference, my system consists of a computer running Foobar2000 application (where I do upsampling, DSP, room correction, DSD transcoding if I want).
I currently have two DACs, a Benchmark DAC2 (Sabre 9018) and a Lindemann Musicbook:10 (AGK 4490).
As far as speakers go, I'm using Dynaudio Confidence C1 Platinum, and recently sold a pair B&W 805S.

Finally, and this can be of much interest for many, I have in house since last June a pair of Nord One Up 500 Monoblocks. These are Hypex NC500 based amplifiers assembled in UK by Colin North.

The Nord amps can be ordered with the Hypex OEM input buffer, or with Nord custom buffer, which allows "op-amp rolling".

To make a good comparison, I ordered the Hypex OEM input buffer, as well as the customized Nord Buffer, with SI 994 and Sparkos discrete op amps. This way, I have three different options in the same amplifier.

I can provide more detail, but in summary, both Anaview AMS and Hypex Ncore are, subjectively speaking (no measurements done here), at the top of the current class D chain.

My current order of preference depends on the DAC, but in general terms would be:

1st: Hypex NC500 with SI 994 op amps and Nord input buffer.
2nd: Tie between Anaview AMS1000 and NC500 with Sparkos  op amps and Nord input buffer.
3rd: Hypex NC500 with OEM input buffer.

Clearly, the choice of both the DAC and the input buffer determines the preference. The class D power modules alone are completely neutral.

I find I prefer bufferless Anaview than OEM buffer Hypex.

I like the "tonally enriched" sound of the Nord buffer option.

I think that an appropriate buffer design for the Anaview could also provide the same result as in the Hypex.

If anyone wants more detail, I'll be glad.

Cheers,
Sebastian

More to discover