Another sign SACD is dying

I went to Best Buy to purchase some SACDs and after searching for the special section containing sacds and xrcds without success, I asked the salesman where they were. He informed me that they were all removed since dual disc is now the rage. WOW!
jmslaw
I have embraced the SACD format and am using a Marantz SA12-S1. I do think it sounds better than redbook, and I am pleased at the new titles that are coming out. Elusive Disc has 20 something pages of SACDs and it is increasing all the time. Many are classical but there is also Dire Straits and Roy Orbison and and Elton John and Patricia Barber and lots of jazz. My local Best Buy has decreased their SACD offerings (only local place to buy). I don't worry about the format's longevity. I will just buy all I can and enjoy long term. My 2-channel listening is not mainstream anyway. I also have cds but no LPs.
John Dean
I went into my local Circuit City store the other day and they had taken out the SACD demo that had been installed for quite awhile. I asked them about it and they said that SACD had "gone by the wayside" to repeat their exact words. I have only listened to it on mid-fi systems. I thought it sounded crisp and detailed, but maybe just a little bright. It made me want to listen to it with highend equipment to get a better feel for it.
circuit city doesn't have a clue about audiophiles. I'm sure they would have said that records have gone by the waste side years ago. I guess we feed off of the waste side.
Robm321...Circuit City may not have a clue about audiophiles, but audiophiles (some of them anyway) don't grasp the real world, which is where Circuit City and Best Buy rule. How else can you explain $2000 speaker wires?
Smw30yahoocom, a lot depends on the entire system. Also it depends on the recording of the SACD itself. I have not yet come across a SACD that is too bright for my taste. I have noticed that SACDs that are PCM converted are a bit more brighter than purely DSD. But nonethless they are thoroughly enjoyable.
Eldartford, BB and CC are not about this hobby we love so much - they are into selling mass produced products. I did not get your point about real world. If you are refering to costs - you really don't need $2000 speaker wired to get into this hobby. Check out my system. I can bet you it is way better than the premium DVD based systems available at BB or CC. And less expensive at sound per dollar. My system is not an all-rounder - no DVD - but that is not what my hobby is about :-)