HYPEX,PASCAL OR ABLETEC

Knowing about the many apparently very good class D amps on the market right now and even though I'm very satisfied with my current ClassD Audio SDS-440CS amp, I'm seriously considering purchasing one of these amps to try out in my system. My thinking is that, if I do like the amp in my system, I can just use my current amp to replace an older Adcom GFA-545 that currently powers my Magnepan CC3 center channel and my unamplified (passive)sub for ht purposes. I would then always be able to choose which amp I used for my 2 ch music and which amp I used for ht(cc and sub).

Well, I should get to my point:

I'm using an Oppo105 as the master source in my streamlined A/V living room system used 40% for 2-ch music and 60% for ht. For 2-ch listening, I stream my cd collection and hi-res Flac files from a Synology NAS in another room to the Oppo. The Oppo acts as a stand alone dac and sends the analog output via xlr cables to my class D amp (440 w/ch@4ohms) which powers my Magnepan 2.7qr speakers. For ht, I use the Oppo for decoding surround sound from Netflix, Directv and bluray discs. Two class A/B amps power the Oppo's ht audio outputs to my Magnepan CC3 center channel, LFE sub and in-ceiling rear surround channels.
I've narrowed my new amp choices down to the following four listed below. I'm requesting feedback on any or all of these 4 amp options, especially from anyone who has used 1 or more in their system. My budget is $2,000 to $2,500 and my room is 18ft x 13ft with 8ft ceilings. Here are my options:

Option#1 Hypex Ncore nc400 based amp builds from James Romeyn in Utah. A stereo, dual-mono build is $1,500 total and is rated at 400 watts @ 4 ohms. It includes 2 Hypex nc400 power modules both powered by 1 nc12000 smps mounted in a generic case with a black or silver aluminum faceplate with both se and xlr inputs. A pair of mono-blocks built runs a bit under $2,000/pr. total and consists of a nc400 power module mated to a nc600 smps in each 'NCORE' labeled black case with both se and xlr inputs.

Option#2 Pascal amp build from Aluminati Sound in Ohio. This is a stereo build only that will use a new stereo board from Pascal in Denmark, called the SPRO-2, that has a smps incorporated on the board. Power output is rated at 500 watts/ch @ 4 ohms. Forecasted price is about $2,000 but may run a bit higher. Pascal modules are used in the new JRRG Continuum 2 integrated amp that has received very positive sq reviews. Alumnati is owned by 2 former CNC machinists/fabricators. Their main advantage is their case work. One of the Aluminati owners, Matt Kraemer, told me the new stereo Pascal amp is tentatively named the "X-1" and should be available for order by approx. mid July. He said the stereo case will be milled from a single large aluminum block. The finished case will have an anodized finish (think JRRG cases but milled as 1 solid piece instead of multiple anodized face panels attached to a chassis underneath. The aluminum case will have a blue power/status light mounted underneath projecting downward.

Option#3- Abletec amp modules in the DSonic M3-600M mono-blocks. I'm not certain which Abletec modules are used in these amps but the price is $1,950/pr. and power output is 600 watts/ch @ 4 ohms in black cases with a blue power/status light with both se and xlr inputs. The Abletec modules have built-in smps just like the Pascal modules. According to DSonic's owner, Dennis Deacon, the 600Ms and their top-of-the-line 1500Ms have similar sound characteristics, even though the 1500Ms use Pascal modules(likely either a MPro or XPro module).

Option#4- Identical ClassD Audio SDS-440CS amp to replace my older class A/B amp that powers my center ch and sub. This option is least attractive to me since it would mean my music amplification would remain the same and I wouldn't be auditioning any of the newer class D amp modules. If I liked option 1,2 or 3 above better for music playback, I would simply move my existing CDA music amp over to center and sub duties anyways. The only benefit of option #4 is that it's the least expensive at $630.

I've ruled out some amps, like the Wyred4Sound and Red Dragon offerings, because they use the older Ice ucd power modules typically considered sonically inferior to the newer Hypex Ncore, Pascal and Abletec power modules. Any comments comparing the sq of these options is greatly appreciated, especially if you've owned or listened to some of these. I do understand that there is more involved with how various class D amps sound than just the power modules utilized, such as high quality components and custom input stages.

I should also say, just like Audiozen, I have never actually heard a Hypex, Pascal or Abletec powered amp. I'm just curious and base my optimism on the positive reports from owners, listeners and professional reviewers. If I had a larger $10k plus budget, I'd likely just buy a completed amp based on the Hypex Ncore nc1200 power modules, such as Merrill, upcoming Mola-Mola or Acoustic Imagery.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts, comments and suggestions. Please feel free to suggest other reasonably priced class D amps I may have omitted.

Thank you,
Tim

Much like Audiozen, I am basing
128x128noble100
Tim, one more comment.

I see that you are using a OPPO 105 as DAC + Volume Control entering directly to your amp.

My first listening session of the Anaview monoblocks was at a store, as I wanted to try them with some speakers I plan to buy sometime in the near future.

The system consisted in a OPPO 105 DAC (I used an USB drive with several FLAC files for testing purposes), a McIntosh C2300 preamp, McIntosh MC601 monoblocks, and B&W 802D Speakers.

We switched amplifiers back and forth, and the Anaviews provided a notably better bass performance than the MC601s.

Mids and highs were hard to distinguish between both amplifiers, but I think that the OPPO 105 was the bottleneck here, specially in the treble performance which I did not like with either amplifier, even considering that the room was properly treated.

When I installed the Anaviews at home with the Benchmark DAC2, I was glad to verify that the highs were very detailed and refined, no harsh at all!

Cheers,
Sebastian
Tim,
Good luck with your new amps I am sure you will be happy with the build and the sound.

I also used and built my own Class D SDS240 dual mono amps with upgraded power supply. Originally had a single board and liked what I heard so much I went to 2 bridged ones, the increase in power made such a difference on my Joseph Audio speakers that I am convinced that for a true high end dynamic sound you need a lot power. Of course this is speaker dependent.

I was in the audio business for a while and have heard/owned all types of amps, my favorites were Mcormack mono amps with large planar speakers, prior to the Class D amp I had a Rogue 100 with my JA speakers.

Intrigued by the class d amp sound I continued to read about all new types coming out and was just about ready to get the n core 400 monos when I saw that a well respected builder was switching from n core to Pascal. I researched more about this type of amp and decided to try D Sonic amps due to the fact that this tech is newer and that it might have a slightly warmer presentation than n core.

So I called Dennis at D Sonic and he offered me his newest amp the M3-800M mono amps, 800 watt per channel, they are not on his web site yet. I am not sure if the tech is newer than the 1500's or not. I have had them going on two weeks and I feel it is a step up in sq. Overall a less grainy mid to upper treble with a warmer mid range. Bass may not go as deep but I only have listened maybe 20 hours, so I feel that this will improve.

I am also using a Oppo 105 to a Wyred 4 Sound STPSE (soon to be replaced with a ARC LS 17SE), I like the sound of the 6h30 tubes and I am running all balanced from cartridge/cd to amp.

It is an ever evolving hobby!
Tim - It doesn't matter a bit whether or not something better exists. Pursuing the latest and greatest will make you crazy and broke and can lead to nothing but regret eventually. What you have coming should be very satisfactory as long as you keep your mind in the listening room and out of the magazines. This entire industry is built on dissatisfaction. You already tried to beat the system and failed to do so, breaking about even, and caused yourself worry and delay in the process. The real way to beat the system is to be happy with what you've got.
Macrojack

Hard to beat advice like that. Of course that's not the nature of this crazy hobby. At some point you may get there...hopefully.
Jtsnead,

I'm glad you're enjoying your new D-Sonic M3-800 amps. I've noticed there are very few reports from people regretting buying D-Sonic amps, whether stereo, multi- channel or monos. Everybody seems very satisfied with these amps.

Sebollo001/Sebastian,

You preferring the D-Sonic M3-600-M-A amps over such well respected amps like the McIntosh C601 monos, says a lot about the quality of the D-Sonics. I'm glad you're enjoying them and hope I enjoy my soon to arrive M3-600-M amps as much.

I'm a bit surprised, and concerned, that you think the Oppo 105 may not perform well in the mid to high frequencies.

I've been using JRiver on my laptop to wirelessly stream ripped cd and FLAC 96khz/24bit files from a Synology NAS to my Oppo 105. The Oppo acts as the Media Renderer/ Media Player with the digital signals converted by its built in Saber dac.

The Oppo's rather low 100 ohm output impedance is a good match with my Class D Audio 440CS amp's specified input impedance of greater than 57k ohms. This system performs very well from top to bottom; solid and textured bass with a smooth but detailed midrange and treble. It may be that my current system's very good impedance matching is a big contributor to its excellent performance.

The D-Sonic M3-600-M amps, having no custom input stage raising the input impedance, therefore have the same input impedance as the ALC-1000-1300 amp modules themselves, which is listed as a rather low 9-13k ohms. This isn't a really bad match since the Oppo's impedance is so low at 100, but it's not as good a match as it is with my current 440CS amp.

So, the big question is, does this less than ideal Oppo-to-D-Sonic amp impedance matching result in the poor midrange-treble performance that Sebastien noted with this combo? I sure hope not but I'll report back after I have the amps in my system for awhile.

Sebastian,

I know your Benchmark Dac2 has an adjustable output impedance feature. Did you need to lower the output impedance setting to achieve your very good mid-treble performance? If so, could you let me know your output impedance setting?

Worst case, if I notice subpar midrange and treble performance, I believe there are devices you can insert between the preamp/source and amp to better match impedances. I'll start researching these just in case.

Later,
Tim

Dollar for dollar you will be far more rewarded (and financially solvent) prioritizing: 1) speakers and their appropriate placement, 2) quality sources, 3) preamplifiers, and 4) appropriate room treatments ahead of amplifiers.

With that said, I am enjoying the holy hell out of my new D-Sonic amplifiers.
More to discover