Are the Klipschorns mainly for Classical music ??

I recently purchased a pair of Klipschorns. I also purchased a pair of Cornwalls. It seems that the Cornwalls are crisp and clean and a shade boxy while the Klipschorns are a very open sound. I have found the Klipschorns to be very good for classical music and some Satriani and Eric Johnson. I find that classic rock leaves alot to be desired because the recordings seem to be less than what I expected. I would like to hear comments from Klipschorn owners as well as Cornwall owners......thanks
allsmiles
I have 1 pair of Klipschorns, 1 pair of KLF 30's, 1 pair of Cornwall II's, 1 pair of Chorus, 1 pair of Forte II's, 4 pair of KG 5.5's and 1 pair of KG's of which I forget the model number. The Forte II's impressed me greatly and the Cornwall II's sound like bigger Forte II's. The Cornwall II's are very impressive. The Klipschorns are the ultimate for me. They have an openess I am not used to. Vman71..which crossovers did you choose..Bob...Dean...ALK ?? Have you upgraded your tweeters or dampened your Klipschorns ?? Any more help is greatly appreciated.
Allsmiles,
I don't know if you've checked at Al Klappenberger's site, but if you click on the left hand side, he has upgrade kits for the Klipschorn. Click on "Klipsch", and then "Squawker Horn Upgrades". Dean says that this upgrade kit is the ticket to greater refinement and smoothness in the mids/highs. At $800, it seems a bargain, and it will definitely be our next move with the K-horns.
Yes....Boa2...I have checked out that site and I will give it a second look....thank you
Allsmiles,

I upgraded the crossover networks myself. I was a crypto tech in the Air Force for 10 years and in electronics school, had to learn how to troubleshoot down to the component level. The crossover networks are fairly simple, they just are made with 2 cent parts/pieces of junk.

I just replace the capacitors, resistors and inductors. This yields a tremendous jump in performance across the entire frequency spectrum. My upgrade is the same as Dean G. The approach is simple and is focused on getting the most impact from the most offensive/inferior parts. Keeps costs very effective and reasonable.

I have replaced the diaphrams in my KLF-20's and will do the same to the Chorus II's very soon. I replaced them with the titanium versions. I will also get around to one day dampening the horns.

Mike
I was downstairs this afternoon listening to some Vivaldi and noticed where Yngwie Malmsteen got some of his music. My heart is still with classic rock, hard rock, and metal but I have to admit Classical is great on the Klipschorns. I definitely MUST be getting older !!!!