Are the Klipschorns mainly for Classical music ??

I recently purchased a pair of Klipschorns. I also purchased a pair of Cornwalls. It seems that the Cornwalls are crisp and clean and a shade boxy while the Klipschorns are a very open sound. I have found the Klipschorns to be very good for classical music and some Satriani and Eric Johnson. I find that classic rock leaves alot to be desired because the recordings seem to be less than what I expected. I would like to hear comments from Klipschorn owners as well as Cornwall owners......thanks
allsmiles
Yes....Boa2...I have checked out that site and I will give it a second look....thank you
Allsmiles,

I upgraded the crossover networks myself. I was a crypto tech in the Air Force for 10 years and in electronics school, had to learn how to troubleshoot down to the component level. The crossover networks are fairly simple, they just are made with 2 cent parts/pieces of junk.

I just replace the capacitors, resistors and inductors. This yields a tremendous jump in performance across the entire frequency spectrum. My upgrade is the same as Dean G. The approach is simple and is focused on getting the most impact from the most offensive/inferior parts. Keeps costs very effective and reasonable.

I have replaced the diaphrams in my KLF-20's and will do the same to the Chorus II's very soon. I replaced them with the titanium versions. I will also get around to one day dampening the horns.

Mike
I was downstairs this afternoon listening to some Vivaldi and noticed where Yngwie Malmsteen got some of his music. My heart is still with classic rock, hard rock, and metal but I have to admit Classical is great on the Klipschorns. I definitely MUST be getting older !!!!
I just finished listening to Bread Anthology....it was superb on the Klipschorns !!!
Greetings Allsmiles
Boa definitely knows what he's talking about: the Heritage Klipsch's are so sensitive & revealing that many listeners don't like what they're hearing only due the poor quality of signal being input! These speakers are particular: if anything upstream is amiss then you are going to hear it. OTOH their dynamics are unbeatable IMO.

Your Carver is simply not high enough quality equipment for this job. I've tested these horns with many amps (Carver included) and most of them sounded just OK; not that great. I've had excellent results with a large Luxman (mosfet) amp, great results with Accuphase (mosfet), very decent with McCormack, decent with Classe, marginal with McIntosh, awful with Adcom. It's not just the equipment quality, it's all about synergy with your hardware & cabling too. Finding the right match for everything can be difficult & time consuming, but the rewards are highly worthwhile.

Mosfet amps work best for me here; I don't care for tubes & have found that the white noise "tube-rush" of such equipment is quite objectionable with horns due to their ultra sensitivity. While I've always perferred solid state sound, YMMV of course.
However a Golden Tube Audio SEP-2 pre driving that McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe amp sounded magical.

For your CD source, due to limited experience I can only recommend what I'm using now (EAD U2000 MKII) which is a very smooth analog-ish presentation. I'm thinking about auditioning a Cary 303-300 or 306, as a possible upgrade.

To realize their true available potential, you must use quality cabling: interconnects, speaker cable, line conditioning (for line-noise glare reduction), AC cords, dedicated power line & a quality AC outlet.
I've only tried a handful of different brand speaker cables; my best results so far are with MIT mid-to-upper line product.

One last admission: I'm not much of a classics fan either, but they really sound great via Klipsch's; Telarcs & Mobile Fidelity's especially. However my music collection is mainly classic rock + jazz. And of course, poorly recorded material comes across exactly as such: - you get out what you're putting in.