Small bookshelfs that reach 42 hz

I just about worked out what speakers to buy for the living room when the wife changed her mind from floor standers to stand mount speakers. She saw a set of B&W 805's on their dedicated stands and that was it.

Not wanting to cave in for pure aesthetics, I need to know what else to consider for a small (16" or less tall) bookshelf speaker that will allow me to reach the bottom range of a bass guitar with solidity. Please no speakers that do 50 or 60 hz and then crap out; that won't fit the bill. Price is anything up to $3000 new with stands. Nice looking matching stands are a major plus as this is the living room.

Since I haven't bought the amp yet don't worry about synergy but if you have suitable integrated recommendations that won't be above $1500 or so used I'm all ears. Many thanks.
wdrazek
Try a Marchand Bassis, you can get up to 2 octave extension in the bass. Also you can change the Q and it features switchable 20hz and rumble filters for you LP fans out there.
http://www.marchandelec.com/wm8.htm
Bob
You should consider the new Mark and Danil Maximus Monitors.

I am a dealer so please take that under consideration, but I would also advise you to check out the Sixmoons review on them and the buzz forming around these speakers, they are sensational!

In my humble opinion and I have been professionally selling gear for 20 years, this is one of the most exciting new companies to come out in a very long time.

The Mark and Daniel speakers sound more like a Wilson Watt Puppy and in a good way and will literally outperform many much more expensive speakers!

The engineering is impecable as well as the build quality:

1: unique design heil air motion transformer with a low crossover point of 800hz=very coherent
2: unique long excursion woofer
3: synthetic marble composite cabinet=low coloration
4: optional omni directional supertweeter
5: very deep tight rhythemic bass
6: big soundstage
7: very coherent

the Bad:

1: needs lots of power
2: plays loud but not extremely loud
3: new company
4: only one year warantee
5: good treble detail without the supertweeter amazing with!

If you are in my neck of the woods come on by, they are really something.
You might want to check these out.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/human/61text.htm

45 Hz to 26kHz - $625 a pair - Hand built by Huw Powell, who takes his "sweet time" about built speakers, but nevertheless delivers a quality product. Seriously thinking of getting a pair of the 61s myself or perhaps one of Rick Craig's Selah bookshelf/monitors.