Speakers for a smaller room/moving issues...

Been looking for apartments/condos/houses to rent in New York as I am moving back there shortly. In other words-- I am moving out of my rental house with its adequately sized listening room/den into a potentially more cramped crib- possibly with neighbors behind an adjoining wall or two.
I've been privy in this search to all kinds of rooms-- small, big, oddly shaped etc. And of course, I am considering all kinds of speakers-- planars (so as not to piss off the upstairs and downstairs neighbors as much as box speakers), smaller monitors in case my room is like 13 by 14 or something and so forth.
Alright already- I'll come out with it! I guess what I really want to ask forum members doesnt exactly pertain to a particular speaker rec at all--
Rather, when you guys move, or for that matter, when you chose your current home or apartment, was your 'listening room' a primary consideration?
I mean, my realtor barely understands my needs in this regard and seems a bit miffed at this point regarding my 'listening room neurosis.'
But what can I do? Move into a small condo and buy a Hello Kitty boombox? What did YOU do? (And DONT say "gave up the hobby"-- otherwise you wouldnt be reading this in the first place! Clever, eh?!)

PS- Jaybo, I love your 2 or 3 word answers; please feel free to participate multiple times!

abramsmatch
The key to getting good sound within a small room is 1) recognizing the issues with the room, 2) addressing those issues with the room, and 3) designing a system that is synergistic with the realities of that room. My system / setup is a prime example (IMHO). You are asking about speakers, and that is only one part of the equation.
Nrenter-- I am not really asking about speakers I guess. I have been at this hobby for over 20 years and have pretty much owned everything from quads to totems to proacs to reynauds to maggies to dynaudios to B&Ws to Living voices to Alons to Soundlabs to Martin Logan's to...man-- it's depressing me to continue-- I really gotta settle down.
In any case, speaker recs are welcome (havent heard your Callistos for example)-- but my question I guess is really more about what other audiogoners have done in terms of moving and compromising in terms of a listening room size and the 'neighbor noise factor.'
Come to think of it-- maybe out of courtesy, I should have posted in another forum?!
I second the any LS35A reccomendation-and add that a vintage pair easily obtainable is also very neat. OFf the top of my head, not knowing your budget here are some. Note I have not heard all of them

Omega super 3 narrows (my current NYC fave)
Silverline minuet
Role
Sonus faber
Harbeth/Spendor/Proac
Totem
Audio Note-they are corner placement

Good luck, it aint easy obtaining "reference quality" sound in nyc-unless youve got enough to buy a huge apt.
Find the place that feels like home - in every way.
Choice of your new place will be crucial. Start there. Brownstone and other concrete/brick buildings are usually great for minimum sound transmission and will keep you & your neighbors sane. Bass traps and other acoustic treatments will help keep the bass leakage as well as careful setup. Living on the top or bottom floor also makes sense - one less neighbor to worry about.
Speaker wise..........you don't need any advice but I would look into one of the best monitors that you can afford (for most of your listening) and add small, fast subwoofer for those reference sessions( before 10PM ).

We can keep in touch for some audiophile get together, shoot outs and such.

Mariusz
Dynaudio 42. All of the great attributes of English speakers but with a bit more dynamics and not with so much of a rolled off high end. Great with vocals and acoustic piano.