Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
In Italy no GT 2000 has ever been imported nor even the older brothers.
Great pity.
Hello fellow audiogoners

I have a Luxman PD-444 which is dead for all practical purposes: the light are on but nobody's home. I have re-capped it - no change. Can anybody fix it? Cosmetically it's only fair, so I'm thinking if repairs are too much I may sell it as is... I couldn't find any schematics or service manuals on it. 
Mark,  Please see up the thread where I have mentioned many times the fact that JP Jones is good with these problematic gems. I don't know if JP ever worked on a PD444, but he is a fast learner, especially if you can dig up a schematic.  JP posts here, too.  His business is called Fidelis Analog, located in NYC.  Also, Dave Garretson, another member of this forum, owns a PD444; Dave is a pretty smart guy as well.  Best of luck; your PD444 is worth the effort and cost to make it run again.
@markshvarts have you checked original notes from Luxman (dates April 26, 1978). It's for adjustment of unstable speed on PD441/444. here is a link to my google docs for this file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7SnhzDV__cCb3BmSFZYU0xzc00/view?usp=sharing 

Not sure if that's your problem, but just in case.
I have two PD-444 and it's amazing turntable. 
Chakster, Mark seems to have a "no-speed" problem, not an "off-speed" problem.  His PD444 is dead.  To paraphrase the Monte Python description of a dead parrot, it's an "un-turntable".