Tekton Double Impacts

Anybody out there heard these??

I have dedicated audio room 14.5x20.5x9 ft.  Currently have Marantz Reference CD/Intergrated paired to Magnepan 1.7's with REL T-7 subs.  For the vast majority of music I love this system.  The only nit pick is that it is lacking/limited in covering say below 35 hz or so.  For the first time actually buzzed the panel with an organ sacd. Bummer.  Thought of upgrading subs to rythmicks but then I will need to high pass the 1.7's.  Really don't want to deal with that approach.

Enter the Double Impacts.  Many interesting things here.  Would certainly have a different set of strengths here.  Dynamics, claimed bottom octave coverage in one package, suspect a good match to current electronics.

I've read all the threads here so we do not need to rehash that.  Just wondering if others out there have FIRST HAND experience with these or other Tekton speakers

Thanks.
corelli
IMO Ozzy’s concern about how the DI’s impedance may vary over the frequency range is well founded, especially given the practical issues he mentioned that would be involved in auditioning and possibly having to return the speakers. The 4.1 ohm output impedance of his Atma-Sphere M60s is, as far as I can recall, more than twice as high as the output impedance of any other amplifier that has been reported in this thread as having been used with a DI. (For example the LTA MZ2 has a specified output impedance of 2 ohms, and according to a TAS review the Frankenstein, at least in its MkII version, has an output impedance of 1.8 ohms).

The Zero autoformers he has can certainly reduce any impedance-related issues he might have pairing the M60 with the DI, and the capabilities of his DEQX might also be able to help with any such issues, but to what degree and with what audible side-effects is obviously difficult or impossible to predict.

Best regards,
-- Al

I saw on here that several of you (corelli, and mac48025) had the Legacy Focus and went with the Tekton DIs. What was the difference in sound? I prefer rock, alternative and industrial, but have a fair collection of Jazz and Classical, but my heart is with the later. I have upgraded my components to many Agoner's advice and am currently running a Parasound Halo A-21 Amp with a Mac C48 pre, It's ironic these two speakers were compared when I was considering one or the other before I found this thread. The Legacys look like they have the rock aptitude with the larger double base drivers, I also like the  varied ribbon tweeters...can you guys help me solve this dilemma, so I can push the button on one of these?

Steve

I finally had some time to hook up the Aric 300B and give it a lesson. Since I had to hold off on shipping it until I was back in town Aric had it pretty well burned in already. So how does it sound with the DI's? In one word.......sublime. As much as I like his Transcend KT 120, the 300B is just what I was looking for. It has all of the attributes of the KT120 with more texture, better tone and a more open soundstage with more pinpoint imaging. 

I am am experiencing a slight hum/buzz from the tweeters when music isn't playing but the background is pitch black when music is playing. There are two cathode bypass switches that allow me to engage/disengage cathode capacitors which effect gain and that hum so hopefully I'll find the right setting that will diminish the noise when music isn't playing. 

Thats a a minor issue as the music this amp provides is so engaging and delightful that I'm as happy as can be. As far as I'm concerned Aric has hit a home run with this amp!

ozzy
2,875 posts
11-14-2017 9:52pm
BTW, some of my previous speakers were the Eggleston Andra 2 (215lbs each) and the Legacy Focus speakers.

As I am also a previous owner of EgglestonWorks Andra IIs I can compare them to the DIs, because I've often thought about the Andra IIs in comparison when I think of their sonic signature. They are very similar in sound, only the DIs are easier to setup, easier to drive, and easier to get a solid center image. All in all, the DIs are more of a pure transducer of sound without the niggling idiosyncrasies of a Von Schweikert design. Mid-bass (or lower-mids, if you prefer) have the edge with the DIs. The bass response is comparable between the two. One of the lovely things about the Andra IIs was that the bass sounded so natural, as opposed to many speaker designs these days where the bass sounds goosed.  

Anyway, that's my spin, for what it's worth.