Preamp for Burmester power amp

Hi all, I am new to here. Currently I am using JRDG Capri with Burmester 956 Mk II power amp, to drive ATC SCM40 V2. 

I intend to to upgrade the preamp (as I think it’s the weakest part), among Pass Labs XP12, Ayre KX5 Twenty and Bryston BP 17 Cubed, which one u think is a better match with my Burmester?
nibongese
nibongese

With the Burmester 956 Mk II with an input impedance this low.
Input Impedance XLR/RCA, 1.88 kΩ / 13.6 kΩ on both xlr and rca.
http://www.rutherfordaudio.com/products/burmester-956-mk2-power-amplifier/

Make sure you have a solid state preamp with nice low output impedance, passives and most tubes preamps need not apply, unless the tube pre has a "paralleled cathode follower" for an output stage, to get the output impedance down to solid state territory, then the tube nutz say they don’t sound to good, but muso’s love them so wt*.

Gain of the 956 is quite high at 31.5db (.8v in for full watts out) so you really don’t need any more preamp gain, all you’ll need is a active pre with unity gain buffer, this way you be able to use a good range on the volume control.
Where with a active preamp with gain you could be at 9 o’clock on the volume for loud listening.
What is your source output level?

Cheers George
From what I found the 113 dac gives out 4V!
and the Dac30 is 2.5v

As you can see your 956 only needs .8v into it for full wattage output, so the preamp should be (unity) no gain to get good volume range on the volume control.

Cheers George
Hi George,

thanks for for the advice. So what do u mean is I just need a DAC with volume control ?