SACD - Dying already?

I just read the industry blurb in this month's TAS which described how it seems the stream of SACDs from Sony has pretty much dried up. I was in the largest local independent record store in my area last week and actually bought a SACD because it was music not available on CD. The SACD/DVD-A section was a bit smaller than a year ago and I asked the manager about it. He laughed and said they only sell 2-3 a month combined and he doesn't order many anymore.

Except for audiophiles, is anyone buying these things? Or, are all hopes and dreams of SACD slowly fading away (for at least Sony)?
tomryan
For me, hi-rez format never lived. I never bought into it because none of my fave bands are available on them. This is coming from someone who definitely think redbook software is the weakest link in my system. Redbook technology itself is not that bad. I can still be totally enthralled by a well recorded redbook software and especially if its on HDCD.

I've always thought of myself as more of a gear lover than a music lover. This discussion made me realize I am more of a music lover relative to a gear lover. If I was a gear lover, I would have jumped on the hi rez format despite it not having any content in my opinion. But then I realize that I actually welcome the challenge in trying to build a redbook friendly system. So, maybe I am more of a gear head after all.
Viggen: I appreaciate your assessment of yourself as sometimes a gear lover and sometimes a music lover. I am definitely both. I jumped on SACD in the last year when several of my favorite bands' music was remastered (Police, Stones, P. Gabriel, Dylan, Miles Davis, Monk, etc.). I now have about 70 SACD's and enjoy them. The music lover side of me loves them because the music I love sounds spectacular to me--like I never heard it before. The gear lover side of me decided to buy an Exemplar modified Denon 2900 so that I can get the best of all worlds. The motivating factor for me is definitely the fact that so many of the artists I love have been remastered. If that were not the case I doubt I would have jumped in with both feet.
I was on the fence about SACD untill I found myself owning about 50 hybrid discs. I purchased a modest priced player(3K, talking Audiophile now)and was quite impressed with the format. To my ears there is simply no question that SACD is a better sounding format than cd. I have a very nice Audiomeca Mephisto 11.X CDP and almost without fail the SACD player sounds more musical. I don't think that vinyl has anything to do with the acceptance of SACD and I don't understand why people keep using vinyl as a reason not to listen to this format. I also have a high end analog system and while it sounds quite good SACD in many instances is comparable and sometime better sounding. I really wonder how many of the detractors here have listened to a good player in their system. Yes the catalog is limited, no I don't think it will replace cd but take the time, auditioned a good player in your system. Make an informed decision.
SACD sounding better than vynil -- wow a revelation -- everybody stop making turntables and tone arms something has trumped vynil! we've arrived at the perfect format. Convenient and better sounding than any other format. Sorry Desmond but you've lost credibility with me with that comment.

So no use arguing.
Robm321, if you read the post closely I said in some cases that SACD sounds better than vinyl. As you are aware there are many poor pressings of vinyl and some exceptional recorded SACDs. I have a large collection of vinyl, well over 8000 lps and over 20K in my analog playback system so I can appreciate vinyl. All I was saying is that SACD sounds wonderful, hell in some cases my car radio sounds better than some of my records.By the way, have you listened to SACD in a good system?