The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
The Best speakers I ever heard are : Sonus Faber Stradivari with Lavardin MAP (only 50W!) or Lamm M1.1, and Mark Levison 390S.

but

In my opinion, same speakers with Theta Digital Enterprise work poorly.
I just heard the custom monitoring system at Focus Recordings in Denmark designed by Ole Lund Christensen, and came to the conclusion that all other hi-fi stuff I have experienced earlier, were mere toys compared to this setup.
Sphere, I can believe your experience. It suggests that even expensive speakers are substantial compromises. This certainly goes along with my experiences.

I certainly cannot agree that the MBL 101s are even very good speakers, much less "live music." On occasion I have heard them sound okay at shows, never any better than that.