Subwoofer: should we even use them at all?

Dear Community,

For years, I looked forward to purchasing a subwoofer. However, I recently became friends with someone in this field who is much more knowledgable than me. His system sounds amazing. He told me that subwoofers should be avoided because of the lack of coherence that inheres in adding a subwoofer. What do you guys think? I currently use Verity Parsifol Ovations.
elegal
I've had subs for years and just can't get it right. They sit there unused most of the time. A floorstander that can do deep enough bass is so much more satisfying.
Because most of all subwoofers do not have a response what is fast enough. This is why many people are only interested in bigger floorstanders. I had the same thoughts till 2007.
Bo1972,

What do tou use as active crossover, and how is your system set up? I'm looking into this right now. Actually posted a new thread on the Tech Talk section.
I use the crossover of the Monitor Audio PLW-15 itself. Without Audyssey Pro this subwoofer is very difficult to control

I even can choose between 6, 12, 18 and 24 db/octave

24 give the best sound.
Bo, please go away.
You have no credibility, nothing to add, and nothing but bluster and me me me me me.
I is your favorite word.