Subwoofer: should we even use them at all?

Dear Community,

For years, I looked forward to purchasing a subwoofer. However, I recently became friends with someone in this field who is much more knowledgable than me. His system sounds amazing. He told me that subwoofers should be avoided because of the lack of coherence that inheres in adding a subwoofer. What do you guys think? I currently use Verity Parsifol Ovations.
elegal
Bo1972,

What do tou use as active crossover, and how is your system set up? I'm looking into this right now. Actually posted a new thread on the Tech Talk section.
I use the crossover of the Monitor Audio PLW-15 itself. Without Audyssey Pro this subwoofer is very difficult to control

I even can choose between 6, 12, 18 and 24 db/octave

24 give the best sound.
Bo, please go away.
You have no credibility, nothing to add, and nothing but bluster and me me me me me.
I is your favorite word.
What's the expression, 'its complicated', and it is. Installed and set up properly, matched to the right pair of main speakers, it can add much to your enjoyment of music. Done poorly, it can spoil your existing sound, and make you much poorer. I've matched two subs to my ProAc 1SC's and have fully enjoyed the effect. Took a while to get the crossover right and positioning of the subs in the right place but it was well worth it.
Just think about what it means for someone to say that others shouldn't use a piece of equipment in their home system that they enjoy, and that improves the overall presentation to THEIR ears.

I personally don't think people should put hot fudge over ice cream...ice cream is delicious as it is, and hot fudge only adds unnecessary calories and sugar. And if it's too hot, it can cause the ice cream to melt prematurely. The extra 50 cents to 2 dollars it costs to add hot fudge could ultimately be spent on extra ice cream, or a bottle of water to wash the ice cream down. I've been eating ice cream for many years, so I have a lot of experience on the matter. You should listen to me, and never add hot fudge to your ice cream.