Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
JaFox - I can't put my finger on it, but I think you disagreed with me. lol.

I understand what you are saying, and I sincerely appreciate your offer. But I am going to stick by my decision. I don't doubt that a better tube would improve/change the sound, but I am skeptical that a tube swap can be transcendental. And I am hesitant to so completely rely on a tube that is difficult to find.

I think rolling tubes, including trying the UN VT-99, will be better suited to someone who has made the decision to invest and focus on the Big6 and get the most out of it. As I said, it is an amazing unit and clearly will make any owner a very happy camper.

Maybe its my system, or my ears, but I never found the Big6 wanting for anything and it held its ground against (even besting) the Aeris on many occasions. I believe that the UN VT-99 will just add to that and make it that much better; maybe even adding another layer of resolution, more taught bass and improved imaging. But even with those sonic improvements (which, again, I don't find missing with the OEM tubes), my decision would not change as it is multi-factorial.

Your offer is sincere and very generous. But I would hate to cost you money in shipping and loss of time with your precious tubes if I know now that my decision would not change with sonic improvements. Especially considering that I found it to be sonically exceptional as it is.

To all, I am in no way saying or implying that the Aeris is a better DAC, or that Lampizator DAC's are not well made nor have reliable/stable customer service. They have, in fact, established a much needed US distribution network and are clearly and deservedly growing each year. They are very well made and support is there and available.

I just found that with my needs and my system, the Aeris is a better match. I'm sorry if my logic and reasoning is unacceptable to you. But as my 6 year old say,"It makes sense to me."

There are admittedly, as I said, additional factors involved with the Lampy that don't exist for the remainder of the DAC's I'm trying out. The rest of the comparisons will pretty much be based on performance and usability alone.

I'm just saying it as it pops in my head. Trying to be honest and forthright about what I hear, how easy the units are to sync and use, their build quality and my opinions related to all random other things about the rig and it's manufacturer….
Round 1 is ended. I respect your decision...it is YOUR decision after all. But you have also provided lots of color and commentary and genuinely have been complimentary to all DACs, assessing their strengths in your system and to suit your taste. Nicely written. Look forward to more Rounds!
Agear,

Having never owned any Rowland gear due to their expensive price tag, I have heard them powering many different speakers and will say that they make the only class D amps that don't sound like that classic "class" D sound. I've always enjoyed their rooms at the audio shows. I don't know they drop inside the amps, but they just sound good to my ears.

I've heard their DACs twice in two different rooms at last year's RMAF and this year at Newport. Great solid accurate sound and I'm not surprised to hear Matt has gravitated towards the Rowland sound. Although I thought an injection of tubes into his system could further heighten what he was hearing in past. It's all about personal taste anyways right?

Will be very interesting to hear his impressions of the Overdrive DAC...
Matt, Lampi has an aerospace engineer living in NJ who does all the US service (I believe) and you will not find better tech support. I understand your concerns, but in this "economy" nothing is really safe. Hi end audio is a fringe business by definition.

Don't bail on the Lampi without hearing those tubes! I am also interested in hearing all the dacs compared in total and not just the Aeris and Lampi.
Hi Mattnshilp, thanks much for your effort to give an objective evaluation of top tier DACs. I do want to make an observation/suggestion. Regarding the potential impact of tube rolling in the Lampi DAC, you state "Rolling tubes will only change the flavor of the magic".

There are things one knows one knows; those that one knows one doesn't know; but most importantly there are those that one doesn't even know one doesn't know. I have come to be very hesitant to make assumptions when dealing with areas in that last category. I've been surprised many times on what can't matter very much.

Just my friendly input. Thanks again for your efforts.