Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Matt, Lampi has an aerospace engineer living in NJ who does all the US service (I believe) and you will not find better tech support. I understand your concerns, but in this "economy" nothing is really safe. Hi end audio is a fringe business by definition.

Don't bail on the Lampi without hearing those tubes! I am also interested in hearing all the dacs compared in total and not just the Aeris and Lampi.
Hi Mattnshilp, thanks much for your effort to give an objective evaluation of top tier DACs. I do want to make an observation/suggestion. Regarding the potential impact of tube rolling in the Lampi DAC, you state "Rolling tubes will only change the flavor of the magic".

There are things one knows one knows; those that one knows one doesn't know; but most importantly there are those that one doesn't even know one doesn't know. I have come to be very hesitant to make assumptions when dealing with areas in that last category. I've been surprised many times on what can't matter very much.

Just my friendly input. Thanks again for your efforts.
I'm not a bit suprised at Guidocorona is useing the Roland Aeris dac straight to his amp, doing straight to amps has always worked good for me, However, Mattnshilp, why don't you do the same if your final decision is the Aeris dac after all this is over?
but I am skeptical that a tube swap can be transcendental.
YES, some tube rolls are TRANSCENDENTAL. Based on Jafox sonic priorities, UN VT-99 is probably not for me.

I think you should maximize every DACs capabilities before the shootout. Otherwise you are NOT hearing the best each can do so IMO, wasting your time.
If I follow Matt, and I think I do, he is saying the two dacs are both wonderful to him. Why mess with tubes, tube rolling etc, when he likes another dac just as much and even a little more and it has no tubes? I understand completely. All of us would rather not have to mess with finding the perfect tube, paying for it, having back ups, wondering when the tube is losing some of its greatness with age etc....

If another dac gives all of the same magic with no need to obsess with tubes, sound optimization with all kinds of various tube types and brands, then why not go for the equally great sound with no extra hassles?

He can keep the SS dac on 24/7 with no warm up!

Now if the Lampi was obviously superior in every way, then Matt and most of us would gladly go down the tube obsession route.

Based on my experience I think feeding the Lampi by USB with no Offramp is the real difference maker in this round. The tube is important, but falls behind in order if importance.

Based on Matt's comments and preferences thus far the EA dac will be most interesting to me. I think it will be to his liking.